Logging Pool Dives

Should pool dives count as logged dives?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I won't log any pool dives in my real logbook but I will log my 2 hour dive at the BHB where most of the time was spent below 10' and some of the time was spent at no more than 22'. One is in a pool, one is open water. I only count open water dives.

If I were taking a course such as rebreather, I would have to keep a separate log for the pool dives because there is a ton of pool time required to complete the course.

But when I am asked how many dives I have, I never count the ones in a pool.

I have two logs; "real diving" and "all diving".....just like my trucker buddies. You never know when the Scuba Police may pull you over.

My first log book was what I consider my training/newbie log. I logged 75 dives --- everything I did while on life support. When you first start diving try going into 4' of water and maintain position in the middle of the water column w/out surfacing or bottoming out. Stand at the deep end of the pool and throw your scuba unit to the bottom and go down and gear up. These ae all true dive experienes. At first I had a lot of trouble getting a breathing pattern down when I was 4' down though it was a non-issue at 60'. My log was just for my reference. When I bought the second book I started at 1 again. I still record every dive I do but I only number the one's that have a lot of meat on the bones. The others I consider dives for equipment checks, new gear checkouts, etc. They are useful to have for future reference. As others have said ---the book is for your eyes --- it's like an ongoing diary of your dive life. I sign my own pages just to make it look "official."

Back
Top Bottom