Locations for Diving in Philippines this February

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, I will not be returning to the Philippines. Again, this might be irrational, but I expect a more generous response, even if it would have been a token refund. That two independent businesses did the same thing tells me this is not a place that deserves my money. I have been in Asia many times, and I think this kind of thing is not the norm (except in Vietnam).
Sorry for sounding bitter.
1. The president is a JOKE.
2. Unless diving at peak seasons(Easter and Christmas) and using private transfer,advanced payment is really un-necessary in this country.
3. Desert another chance.
4. You have every right to be bitter!
5. If you ever change your opinion on the country and thinking a trip to PG. This is my suggestion:
a. Book a room in Ermita in Manila through eg Agoda or similar which offer FREE cancellation.
b. Use the Si-kat transfer(City State Tower Hotel) in the following morning.
c. ditto for the return.

Thanks, buddy. I really appreciate your advice. What do you mean "3. Desert another chance."?

Well, all, guess what? Just before I left for Philippines via Hong Kong the President of the Philippines banned any travel through Hong Kong. I was going to stay in HK for a few nights to show my support, but there was no way to avoid that place at the last minute because my airline was Cathay Pacific (based in Hong Kong). So all of your advice and my efforts were for naught. Talk about disappointing!!

I have trip insurance, and, while I have never made a claim with this company, I hope and expect things will go smoothly. I've used it regularly.

However, my greatest disappointment is with El Galleon (PG) and Magic Island Resort (Moalboal), who rejected even a partial refund, even though this whole thing was finalized so recently and despite their excess capacity and their own president's declaration, irrationally, to prohibit transit through Hong Kong because of coronovirus. If anything, the Philippines was risky for me, as so many Filipinos work in mainland China, and the Philippines does not have the healthcare system of Hong Kong. Maybe I'm being irrational--I am willing to be challenged on this point--but these successful and well-known businesses seem motivated first to pocket the money. It's not like I took up a scarce berth in a dive boat, after all.

So, I will not be returning to the Philippines. Again, this might be irrational, but I expect a more generous response, even if it would have been a token refund. That two independent businesses did the same thing tells me this is not a place that deserves my money. I have been in Asia many times, and I think this kind of thing is not the norm (except in Vietnam).

Sorry for sounding bitter.

Soon I may be in the same boat as you as am scheduled to fly into Manila via Taiwan. If there are no travel warnings issued for Philippines , I am still hoping to get in via different country by using my travel insurance and changing the flights. If warnings are given against travel to Philippines, then it's game over, as medical insurance won't cover travelers.
As for businesses not returning the money due to cancellation , it sucks but you have insurance and will recoup the costs, and they don't, plus they had such short notice. None of the businesses that I know that cater to tourists and accept booking are very flexible with short cancellations. The fallout after this pandemic may be very taxing for the local businesses...jmho

Soon I may be in the same boat as you as am scheduled to fly into Manila via Taiwan. If there are no travel warnings issued for Philippines , I am still hoping to get in via different country by using my travel insurance and changing the flights. If warnings are given against travel to Philippines, then it's game over, as medical insurance won't cover travelers.
As for businesses not returning the money due to cancellation , it sucks but you have insurance and will recoup the costs, and they don't, plus they had such short notice. None of the businesses that I know that cater to tourists and accept booking are very flexible with short cancellations. The fallout after this pandemic may be very taxing for the local businesses...jmho
I believe the "refused entry" only apply to passengers flying into Philippines from china, Hong Kong and Macau ONLY.
Republic of China(Taiwan) is NOT on the list.

Believe Centrals meant “deserves another chance.”
I too am disturbed by Asia Divers’ response. Holding on to a deposit amount is one thing, holding on to the full amount is another.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom