Local News

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Recent rash of food poisonings at the Grand Occidental?
FB gossip has been claiming that there is a bug circulating on the island and it wasn't food poisoning, which sounds generally discouraging.
Any update on the fire at the Allegro?
Not much to update there. The local manager was exposed for not taking needed precautions and the place is totaled.

Any update on the fire at the Allegro?

Seems they are out doing inspections now - I'm not sure what Tony B's was closed for but Aqui Ahora was closed by Cival Protection - I assume it was just a day or two thing, I think they are both back open.

Well, I am more than a little disappointed. I've been maintaining and updating my free, no-sign-in, no-personal-info-collected website, www.EverythingCozumel.com for over 12 years. Don, this Cozumel informational site has had maps of all the UNIPER routes and Taxi Union's colectivo routes since their inceptions, along with prices and rules of use. What should I do to get more people to read my website to find out these important bits of info? I try to include the things people are asking here on Scubaboard all the time (like the official taxi rates, which I photographed and posted), how car insurance really works in Cozumel, the actual boundaries of the marine park, and a gazillion other data points, but if no one looks at it, they miss out on a lot of useful things to know about the island.

I recently revamped the site. It is designed specifically for a smartphone now. Let me know what kind of info you think should be on it and I will try to add it. Use the "contact us" page on my site to tell me.

By the way, some of the old UNIPER bus routes (if they really do quit) may be given to the Taxi Union to use as colectivo (shared van) routes. We will have to wait and see. Could just be bargaining for a bigger subsidy or concession.

As far as starting a "local news" thread, I am kinda leary. It could backfire. I mean you could end up promoting a lot of "fake news." In my experience, most people who post "Cozumel news" are actually posting English translations of the Spanish texts generated by very poorly trained and poorly edited local reporters. Much (half? more than half?) of what these rags print is either incorrect or misleading, often intentionally so. They are best used for wrapping fish or putting in the bottom of your bird cage, not for use as a reliable source for real news.
Hi @El Graduado ,

How about a link in your signature to that website? Additionally, a similar "sticky" thread at the head of this forum?

Thank you for the effort you put into keeping us CZM regulars informed.

couv

Temptations Restaurant, not a high tourist traffic spot...
I had breakfast at this place last year. Seemed fairly new, clean, and quiet, w/ good food/service. Definitely not a tourist spot though, but pretty close to those central areas of town. Kinda the last place that comes to mind when I think about drug dealers getting shot, but that wouldn't keep me from visiting again.

One glaring omission on your site is a search box.
Like that one...??

1660430188132.jpeg

15th Ave? That's Los Otates' street and pretty close/bordering the tourist area. Violence must be closing in there like everywhere. What ever happened to no Mexican Citizen can legally own a gun other than military/law enforcement? So much for that... Seems the criminals have no problem acquiring guns and now they are on Cozumel shooting the place up in broad daylight. I wonder what the name of this "eatery" was on 15th. Wonderful. Stuff like this continues and it may be time to think about other destinations... They may cost more but I've no time for worrying about the next gun fight among drug dealers taking place in the eatery I'm dining in.
There is 1 gun store in all Mexico. It is controlled by military. You can own guns in Mexico but it is a lot of paperwork.

It was at 15 between 2 and 4 - opposite end of town from Los Otates - Temptations Restaurant, not a high tourist traffic spot..... Pero.....

There was the shooting at Hemingways, of course the ever popular Marlins and last week they caught a well known drug lady on Melgar at Sednea? with three guys and a gun in the car.

My take is that blankety blank used to have a heavy hand in controling things here - whether he did it the good or bad way - he has been under a lot of scrutiny and the new police chief is about as sideways as they come. Within months, the police chief was involved in an injury related accident and of course drove off to the police station and that whole thing was wiped clean.. There used to be reports of large amount drug busts but those don't really happen that often anymore...... The few large round ups they did downtown were completed by units from the mainland, not local, and those guys were just the normal street dealers. Every act of gun violence is directly related back to drugs - seems that a few guys are having the machismo syndrome because PP isn't around directing traffic anymore....... Just my simple take on things
The cartel violence from mainland has made it here. The new generation cartel in particular has control over most of this area. They don't play nice if you are involved in the drug industry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom