Local News

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the photo on the maya-news story doesn't go with the crash description. Avenida 35 Facebook page had a leg amputation picture two days ago, could be the same crash. The comments pile on speeding taxies and such but the left leg damaged, with the damage to the left side of the bike and crush damage to the front of the taxi indicate the scooter was likely entering the roadway by making a left hand turn and that would fit the above article about the turning movement of the motorcycle. As the scooter driver is alive and on his phone the taxi wasn't going all that fast, although I have no idea what the speed limit is at that part of the roadway. Here in the US the scooter driver would be at fault. I find it interesting how quickly people pile on the taxis

While the taxis rates are very inexpensive in my opinion and most individual drivers are friendly , the taxis have acted like a gang for many years in protecting each other regardless of what each individual does. That is why people tend to have rather harsh views of them.

For years if a taxi got in an accident they would call other taxis to come and “witness” the accident. They would also oppose anything on their business violently (arson in some cases ). And taxis do drive fast and aggressively (this is coming from someone who is used to high speed rural roads and notoriously aggressive Houston drivers who may be polite outside of a car but are ruthless behind the wheel ).

While the taxis rates are very inexpensive in my opinion and most individual drivers are friendly , the taxis have acted like a gang for many years in protecting each other regardless of what each individual does. That is why people tend to have rather harsh views of them.
That is characteristic of many trade and labor unions all over the world. The US is not immune.

That is characteristic of many trade and labor unions all over the world. The US is not immune.
That's right.
Most Longshoremen make the taxi unions in Mexico look like a bunch of eunuchs, and the International Maritime Pilots Association makes the Longshoremen look like eunuchs.

They were 3 from the National Guard in a car rental. They were all taken to the hospital. The National Guard sent a military ambulance to the hospital to take the 3 injured out. The Municipal police blocked the military ambulance from moving out because they want all payments settled for the accident. Sounds like a Mexican standoff now....

They were 3 from the National Guard in a car rental. They were all taken to the hospital. The National Guard sent a military ambulance to the hospital to take the 3 injured out. The Municipal police blocked the military ambulance from moving out because they want all payments settled for the accident. Sounds like a Mexican standoff now....

One thing to note is that the National Guard in Mexico plays a very different role than in the US. About 3 years ago they replaced the federal police in Mexico. I would think their power exceeds the municipal police.

One thing to note is that the National Guard in Mexico plays a very different role than in the US. About 3 years ago they replaced the federal police in Mexico. I would think their power exceeds the municipal police.
Yep. The Guardia are the only ones authorized to ask for and verify your TIP and immigration papers.

Any policia asking for those papers are fishing for mordida.

Am I missing any other forces on the Island?

Municipal Police
State Police
Federal Police
Army
Navy
Marines
National guard

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom