Local News

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Make that 9 near misses. Two guys on a motorcycle shot at a street drug vendor who was standing on calle 37 today. All four shots missed him. The kids who were playing on the street all scattered. Cops picked up the empty cartridges.

You need to add the floater found out in the jungle.....

The goings on have been very very tight lipped, not much at all being reported.

A few nights ago, coming back from downtown at midnight, a police check point for papers was at Transversal and like 35 - no big deal. At Transversal and the new Chedraui, a blacked out police truck with only marines. Down the road farther, there's a road that cuts over to my colonia, real dark - I turn the corner and see a truck - all marines and I get searched, I mean searched completely. Every street corner in the area is manned by police truck with only marines - they had searched a house, arrested 3 people and they were running up and down the roads past 3am - no nothing on Facebook - no police, only the marines. Even now, there is no reporting of why or what they were doing - only that they found someone in the jungle the next day. Very unusual that nothing is being reported on Facebook.......

It almost seems like the marines are acting on their own and not involving the police - which is good. The media sure as hell has no idea what is going on which is very unusual, they usually report live from wherever something happened but it's like a blackout.......

All that being said, Cozumel is safe, very safe, I have zero worries and hope they squash this problem before it becomes an infection.

It almost seems like the marines are acting on their own and not involving the police - which is good. The media sure as hell has no idea what is going on which is very unusual, they usually report live from wherever something happened but it's like a blackout.......

This is what happens when they decide the police are corrupt and part of the problem.

There was a road checkpoint with state police on the north end, north bound, just north of the entrance to the air force base last Sunday. They were checking papers (in my case drivers license). They did not ask for resident card.

There was a road checkpoint with state police on the north end, north bound, just north of the entrance to the air force base last Sunday. They were checking papers (in my case drivers license). They did not ask for resident card.
I assume you were driving; were they stopping taxis? If so, did they ask for any ID from the passengers?

I assume you were driving; were they stopping taxis? If so, did they ask for any ID from the passengers?
These checkpoints are looking for vehicle documents - your circulation de tarjeta (a small copy of your registration) and a drivers license. The ones at night are screening for drinking also.... They are looking for anything suspicious and stolen vehicles - they are no issue what so ever - I get stopped on my motorcycle virtually every time, they are always really nice and joking around. If you have not been drinking at all, do not be intimidated by them and pay any bribe - politely ask for the ticket, they will keep your license and go pay the ticket in the morning, it takes all of 15 minutes to pay a ticket.

If they wave you over as a tourist in a rental car you would have no issues, as long as the car had plates because you don't need what they are looking for - drinking on the other hand.....

These checkpoints happen during the day also - you divers may see them down just past Caleta marina, but they seem more often at night and they move around thru the night, you can't pre screen the drunk drive route home.....

There are two other check point types - sometimes immigration is with them - they seem to stick close to the ferry docks, the cruise ship piers or the marinas. They just want to make sure you are here legally and working legally. This seems to cause tourists problems as they want the real documents, not copies. I have not seen these check points in a long time.....

The other kind, there is a SEMART?? car with them and they are checking commercial papers, you might get stopped in a taxi in this but it has zero to do with you. These are really rare and I think they happen around registration time.

I was driving my car solo in the early afternoon on a Sunday. I was asked only for ID. In the past at other checkpoints I have been asked for drivers license/ID, registration and insurance proof. In the past, no passengers were asked for anything but maybe they will in the future - I couldn't tell you.
This one, taxis were routed around the latest checkpoint immediately. I could not tell you if the taxi driver flashed their ID or not - they went through quickly.
They weren't checking for taxis with rental car plates tho.

Craziest story I've heard in a while

A guy who said he was former law enforcement in the US on my plane told me that his wife passed away after drinking a poisoned cocktail at the Iberostar.

He went on to tell me that he travels to Cozumel every single week on Friday and goes home on Saturday since April 2022 (said there was a settlement)

He also told me he was jailed once because he had launched his own investigation on what went wrong In addition to being harassed by airport security due to traveling for 24 hrs with only a backpack.

Craziest story I've heard in a while

A guy who said he was former law enforcement in the US on my plane told me that his wife passed away after drinking a poisoned cocktail at the Iberostar.

He went on to tell me that he travels to Cozumel every single week on Friday and goes home on Saturday since April 2022 (said there was a settlement)

He also told me he was jailed once because he had launched his own investigation on what went wrong In addition to being harassed by airport security due to traveling for 24 hrs with only a backpack.
That is crazy! What's the point of going for 24 hour trips every week -- to spend the night with the barmaid at the Iberostar? :)

:confusing:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom