Local News

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any background on this ? (Just not making money , changing hotel brands , converted to condos, being torn down to make room for something else ….)
The SCC website doesn't say anything about it closing.

Email exchange:

Hi SCC,

Rumor has it you are closing at the end of this month, is that correct?

Thanks,

Good morning, yes we are closing August 31st, thanks for your preference over the years.

Have a nice day, Sofia

Scuba Club Cozumel

www.scubaclubcozumel.com

987-872-1800

US 727-230-9613

TOLL FREE 1-8447926976

Two of my friends tried to book with SCC in early and late October. Both were told SCC is shutting down at the end of this month.

Spoke to Sofia this morning about our trip next March. She was literally in tears on the phone and confirmed they are closing at the end of this month :crying: I feel so sad for all my Scuba Club family and friends, especially the long term employees.

Hopefully the closure is a temporary thing, but I am guessing the closure is permanent until / unless new owners are found. Anyone know who owns Scuba Club, and who to contact about possible purchase of the business - hotel and on site dive shop ??

Divegoose

Spoke to Sofia this morning about our trip next March. She was literally in tears on the phone and confirmed they are closing at the end of this month :crying: I feel so sad for all my Scuba Club family and friends, especially the long term employees.

Hopefully the closure is a temporary thing, but I am guessing the closure is permanent until / unless new owners are found. Anyone know who owns Scuba Club, and who to contact about possible purchase of the business - hotel and on site dive shop ??

Divegoose
I bought a Hatteras 38 from him some years ago but I forget his name. In my negotiations, in about 2010, I got the feeling that he just did not care about Cozumel anymore and was bailing out. He was pretty old at the time and it might be his estate that has carried on.

Dave Dillehay

I bought a Hatteras 38 from him some years ago but I forget his name. In my negotiations, in about 2010, I got the feeling that he just did not care about Cozumel anymore and was bailing out. He was pretty old at the time and it might be his estate that has carried on.

Dave Dillehay
Thanks Dave,

I heard it was a group of divers from the U.S. who own Scuba Club but haven't been able to confirm it. Would be nice to know if the closure is temporary or permanent. Our group is looking for other options as Cozumel has been a yearly visit for the past number of years.

Divegoose

Thanks Dave,

I heard it was a group of divers from the U.S. who own Scuba Club but haven't been able to confirm it. Would be nice to know if the closure is temporary or permanent. Our group is looking for other options as Cozumel has been a yearly visit for the past number of years.

Divegoose
They would like to sell, but I guess they have not found a buyer. Tim has been ready to retire for several years.

My understanding, Tim M (his wife is from Mexico), owns the dive operation, the dive shop across the street and the boats. He also manages the hotel.

The actual hotel property I have heard that the owner is another Mexican gentleman that lives on the mainland.

I am sad. My wife and I, and many of our friends, have stayed at SCC at least 20 times in 20 years.

This is a shame. While I've never stayed there, it's been on my list to try sometime, and I just like the idea of this kind of "land-based liveaboard" as it was sometimes called.

By the way, there's now a thread specifically for this SCC discussion:

Back
Top Bottom