Question Local divers, how do you motivate yourself when the weather is crap?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I lived in the Midwest, many of us would hit the quarries at least once a month all year long. The only thing that got in the way was if the quarries froze over. Some years I was able to dive all year, others I wasn't able to dive in Jan-Feb until the ice thawed in Mar. That was when most of us had our gear serviced and worked on our summer diving plans.

Now that I live in Florida, nasty weather means wind. It could be tropical systems, winter cold fronts or winter easterlies. Most of us locals dive year-round and just need to work around the windy weather.

Now that I live in Florida, nasty weather means wind.
Stay safe on Thursday, that storm surge of 8-10 plus high tide is looking rough and you are close to the gulf waters.

Down here, the water temp only changes a bit through the year -- its not really an issue.

Storms? that why they have forecasts. You just dive when they arent around (although I remember one year that fall storms popped up every weekend I wanted to dive - kept me dry for months).

I dive wet, so the air temperature does keep me out of the water through the coldest parts of January & February.

But what really motivates me now is --- going to warm water to dive in the winter. Forget you hardy folks in your drysuits with your hot coffee. I deal with a thick wetsuit all year, I wanna dive in my swimsuit.

There's a fine line between crazy and adventuresous.
Currently waiting for a squll line from the hurricane to pass so we can get in.
FYI We are a few hundred miles away on the other coast in a more protected area. Buddy an I are not the only divers here.

It's that time of year, the days are getting shorter and the rain is here. They are calling for a lomg cold winter and it's starting early this year.

Despite knowing that the vis is better and the water really isn't any colder, I find it hars to get motivated to suit up and go dive when it's cold and rainy out. I know, what's going to happen? I get wet?

I'm wondering what other people do to motivate themselves to get in the water omce the weather has started to turn for the year.
I don’t let rain stop me.

Surface/surf conditions maybe but not rain. You’re getting wet anyway and the fish are still there.

A light to moderate rain is a really relaxing environment to have a deco beer in, but it can’t be a deco beer unless you go diving.

Where I live and dive, Libya, the show stopper is water movement (waves, currents, wind). Anything else is an inconvenience at most.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom