Question Local divers, how do you motivate yourself when the weather is crap?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's that time of year, the days are getting shorter and the rain is here. They are calling for a lomg cold winter and it's starting early this year.

Despite k owing that the vis is better and the water really isn't any colder, I find it hars to get motivated to suit up and go dive when it's cold and rainy out. I know, what's going to happen? I get wet?

I'm wondering what other people do to motivate themselves to get in the water omce the weather has started to turn for the year.

i go dive anyway! Some of the most beautiful dive i ve done are in september and october. For me season end november 1. So i will dive any days before that hot or cold rain or not ! Going to dive tomorrow 😌.

As a local diver my default is diving, if the weather is truly not conducive to diving, too rough on the beach AND too murky at the protected spot... just means I finally have to get around to the regular "to do list".

Theres maybe only 1-2 weekends an entire year where I cant make it happen

What are you diving for? Sightseeing? Fish hunting? Skill practice? Your answer will determine your reason

The best time to dive is when the water and air are similar temperatures, which starts now in the PNW.
Agree. About now is when water gets a little warmer than air here and that progresses through Oct. Then it's all cold....

I like the colder weather. Fewer divers competing for parking spots, and the water is often clearer.

Now if it's a howling gale, that's another matter. But even high winds in our part of the world aren't a huge deal. There's not a lot of fetch for the waves to build up over, and there's usually a lee side of a peninsula to dive on.

A couple thoughts to make it more pleasant:

1. Make sure to bring warm water to the dive site, especially if you're in a wet suit. Pour it down the suit post-dive for an instant private hot tub.

2. Night diving is a blast, and this time of year it doesn't mean staying up past midnight because sunset was 9:30 pm.

3. Maybe adjust plans to just do one dive, rather than a couple. Even in a wetsuit, you can tough out that one dive.

4. Dry suit. If you aren't diving dry yet, winter diving will convince you.

I put the bottom wetsuit half and booties on at home then drive around with the heater on looking for a site

Where I live we dive year round, drysuit or 7mm when it gets below 23C which is usually in January to March.

Currently we have a vast temperature difference between the west and east coasts.

In winter the west coast will be around 18/19C and east coast 22/23C
In summer the west coast will be 34/35C and east coast 27/28C

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom