Lobstering while on vacation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kingsley Zissou

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Greetings All

MY wife and I are heading to the keys in March where we will be driving and diving up and down the keys. We will be there March 7th - March 16th. We are staying in Key Largo, Marathon and Key West for a few days each.

Out main goal is to get in as many dives as possible and try out our new U/W camera. But, as you probably know that puts us there towards the end of lobster season. Having never caught our own bugs, we are curious to give it a go. However I am not sure of the logistics of catching, transporting and preparing our own. We will not have a kitchen at our disposal, but I have heard of local eateries that offer to prepare your catch for you.

If I am reading the Florida wildlife conservation site correctly, it would be $30 for a non-resident 7-day saltwater fishing license plus $2 for a lobster permit for each of us. Then there is the cost to buy or rent gear.

So here are all my specific questions:

Are the lobster harder to find at the end of the season?

Is it conceivable that that two newbies would be able to wrangle any bugs on their own?

How much will the gear cost and what exactly is needed?

Do dive charters normally allow you to bring up lobsters during a normal reef dive (assuming you have permits and everything is in order)?

How do you transport your catch from the boat to their final resting place?

Does anyone know what a restaurant might charge to prepare a lobster you caught?

Or the would overall question would be:

Is it worth whatever time, cost and effort to give this a try?

Thanks for your time.:wink:

Hey Kingsley,

Glad to hear you'll be coming to the Keys for some diving. You'll have a great time. Now let's see if I can answer some of your lobster questions.

Not all charters allow lobstering as it is dependent on where they are going. Special areas thru-out the keys known as Special Protection Areas (SPA) do not allow any harvesting of any kind within them. You'll have to check with the charter to see if they are going to an area that allows lobstering.

We do allow lobstering on our boats and already have boat license that cover you while lobstering on our boats. We only charge $10 per person and covers you for the time your on our boats. We also have lobster gear available for use while on the boat. Transporting the lobster back to land is just a matter of keeping them in your bag and then cleaning them once at the dock.

There are several resturants that will cook your catch so that's not an issue either.

The only real issue is if you'll see any to catch. The last few seasons have not been that great and even the commerical fisherman are hurting. So just be aware of that.

Let me know if you have anymore questions as I'd be happy to try and answer them.

Good Diving,

Thanks Captain.

How long could you keep a lobster tail refrigerated before cooking or freezing it?

Thanks Captain.

How long could you keep a lobster tail refrigerated before cooking or freezing it?

I've kept them overnight on ice in the fridge and they've still been good.

Good Diving,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom