Lobster question(cleaning)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fishfood

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Seached could not realy find my answer

ok.. just started lobster hunting last night got my first 2.. lol my mom sayed you catch them and ill cook them.. so i brought it home at 4am and sayed cook it...

was wondering what to do with it next...
i read were it sayes to pull the tail off... should i kill the poor bug first?
is there and easy way to kil the poor bug?

if i was going to boil them thats easy but i got good plans for a bbq with realy big shirmp.. :)

can i kill, clean it, freeze it, ....

lol thought the hard part was catching them... guess i was wrong...

fishfood:

was wondering what to do with it next...
i read were it sayes to pull the tail off... should i kill the poor bug first?
is there and easy way to kil the poor bug?

if i was going to boil them thats easy but i got good plans for a bbq with realy big shirmp.. :)

can i kill, clean it, freeze it, ....

lol thought the hard part was catching them... guess i was wrong...

Last Sunday, I brought one home. It was sitting on ice for 3-4 hours before I fired up my BBQ (2am). The lobster wasn't moving, I put it on the grill 10-15 min on med/high heat: till white fuzz/bubbles were coming out, due to dark it was hard to see.

I got my cleaver and butter flied the tail; I then used a knife and cut into the carapace to remove the tail-----HOT! (I'll have a better plan next time).

I felt like a cave man, it was worth the experiment.

Hope this helps,

ICE

One of my culinary books had this:

To Boil Lobster

Use a pot big enough to hold 6 quarts of water and two lobsters at a time. Bring the water to a boil. Drop the lobsters in headfirst and cover the pot. Once the water returns to a boil, cook 10 minutes for the first pound of lobster and 3 minutes for each additional pound. (If the lobsters weigh 1-1/2 pounds each, they will be done in about 12 minutes. Base the time on the weight of one lobster, not the total weight.) Remove the cooked lobsters from the pot and drain before serving.

To Steam Lobster

Place a rack in the bottom of a pot that will hold the lobsters without crowding. Add two inches of water and 1 tablespoon of salt. Cover the pot and bring the water to a boil. Add the lobsters and cover the pot. Weight down the lid so the steam doesn't escape. Once the water returns to a boil, cook about 14 minutes for 1 pound lobsters, adding 2 minutes per 1/4 pound on lobsters heavier than 1 pound. Base the time on the weight of one lobster, not the total weight.

To Cook Lobster Tails

Thaw the tails in the refrigerator or in a bowl of cold water. Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add the lobster tails and bring the water back to a boil. Cook 7 minutes for 5-ounce tails, 7-1/2 minutes for 6-ounce, and about 8 minutes if the tails weigh 8 ounces.

Good Luck!

While wearing your dive gloves, hold the caripace in one hand and the tail in the other. Quickly and firmly twist the two sections 90-180 degrees and the tail will seperate. Bugs don't like this action much, so do it quickly. After tailing the lobster, break off about eight inches of antennae and insert the broken end into the poop chute about 3/4 of the length of the tail. Turn the antennae 180 degrees and slowly pull the vein out of the tail. Rinse the tail and put it in a freezer bag, getting as much air out of the bag as possible before freezing.

when i rip the tail off the poor guy does he die fast.. or should i hit him over the head with a hammer :)

if he dies before i remove the tail and clean him is that bad?

You can instantly kill a lobster by pushing the sharp end of a knife into the top of the head between the eyes. Be careful not to cut yourself!

When tailing a lobster, it helps to cut around where the tail meets the caripace before trying to twist the tail off. Cut parallel to the tail so as to get the most tail meat out from under the caripace.

You can kill the lobster as instructed above immedicately before you tail it. Lobsters that are not alive before you start the above processes are suspect.

I chill 'em, then grill 'em, there's meat in the body, legs, and antennea knuckles as well as the tail. Tailing them live seems cruel. (Hey, I'm sensitive, sue me.) Put 'em to sleep, then cook 'em.

fishfood:

ok.. just started lobster hunting last night got my first 2.. ...
Hold it right there. First night and you caught not one but two (2) legal sized bugs!? :11:

There is your first mistake. You are suppose to spend two to three years first catchiing only water or shorts that you have to let go. Builds character. :wink:

Congrats.

well it was not with out its down sides

i had a bag problem..... harder to work then my fins in big surf

1 lobster gauge + 1 light + 1 tasty lobster = 2 hands and one confused diver under water :06:

man i need to learn how to control my self from laughing under water or i will kill my self one day

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom