Lobster question(cleaning)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've flooded my mask about every other dive from laughing. I figure it keeps my clearing skills sharp. :)

fishfood:
when i rip the tail off the poor guy does he die fast.. or should i hit him over the head with a hammer :)

if he dies before i remove the tail and clean him is that bad?

I like the hammer idea, geeezuz, why not use a chainsaw...........make a video, I want to see that.

fishfood:
1 lobster gauge + 1 light + 1 tasty lobster = 2 hands and one confused diver under water :06:
Solution:
1 each 18w HID canister light with Goodman handle + 1 each Bug Buddy = 2 fully available hands fur bug wrestling.

Seriously... the Goodman handle is the equivalent of strapping the light to the back of your hand, so you can open and use your fingers without dropping the light. Of course, this doesn't work too well with the battery in the same housing due to the weight, but the canister light solves that by putting th batteries on your body.

The Bug Buddy is a bug gauge fitted to a bracket that hose-clamps around the light's bezel. This will fit anything from a C4 to a D8... dunno if it'll fit an old Darryl Allen or not :) The 18w HID reflector is about the minimum diameter it can handle. The Dive Rite MR11 head is too small.

You can now hold the bug in one hand, and literally bring the light right up to it's back and measure it... and yes, the Bug Buddy is just as useful on any conventional light, but you'll have to drop it to get the bug in the bag.

When I am not in a hurry, I put the bug in the freezer for about 10 minutes. They basically go to sleep :sleeping_ and then you can tail them in peace. Or if it is 2 in the morning and all you want to do is go to bed, just put the gloves on, bend the tail under, twist and pull. I think I freaked my wife out :eyebrow: when she saw the meat in the tail pulsing and twitching. :l: What I have not tried is splitting the whole bug in half and grilling.

Happy hunting and be safe.

So do most of you just tail it and not bother with the body meat? I haven't done it yet but it seems like there's a lot of meat in there.
There's a lot of other guts in there too though.

Nay:
So do most of you just tail it and not bother with the body meat? I haven't done it yet but it seems like there's a lot of meat in there.
There's a lot of other guts in there too though.
For the real toads, I've treated the legs like crab, but like crab, they are a lot of work for very little meat. Basically, if the legs are big enough to worry about, then the tail is enough to feed a couple of people and you don't NEED the legs.

I've never found anything I'd care to eat in the body cavity.

If you clean the cavity out, there is good meat in there, and the legs and antenne knuckles are excellent. You may have to work for it a little, a meal shouldn't be shoveling food in your mouth, it should be an experience to be savored, I always viewed the work as part of the experience.

PhotoTJ:
If you clean the cavity out, there is good meat in there, and the legs and antenne knuckles are excellent. You may have to work for it a little, a meal shouldn't be shoveling food in your mouth, it should be an experience to be savored, I always viewed the work as part of the experience.
Yep. Agreed.

I saw a cool tip on Food TV once for getting the meat from the legs:
Separate them from the body and into their natural segments, then use a rolling pin, start at one end and roll it up the leg and the meat should pop out the other, open end.
HAven't tried it but it looked cool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom