Lobster Kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stinggirl

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I want to try my hand this season at catching a lobster or two. My dilema is that I saw a kit at Diversdirect.com for $19.99 and don't know if this is a good deal or not.
It includes...
large mesh bag
deluxe net with lanyard
traction rib gloves
deluxe hooked tickle with gauge

Is it a good deal??? This will be my first attempt at lobstering

I am replying so I get subscribed to this thread and see the responses...

:popcorn:

This is a pretty good deal. You will probably want to upgrade some stuff later but it will "get you in the game" for a small up front cost.
I have noticed some of the nets in these kits are very low quality and the lobster can bite through them and swim away. I dont know about THIS SPECIFIC kit, this is just something I have noticed in the past.
You can use an old car antenna for a telescopic tickle stick. Then you only really need a guage and net. You should already have gloves. I dont use the rubber gloves and dont know anyone who has used them.
The other way to catch lobster is with a snare. These are a little more expensive but I have never used one. I generally try to coax them out and if they dont come out I reach in and bring them out!
Good luck with your attempts. Just remember to have fun and keep a good eye on your guages. It is easy to get occupied and forget!

SalmonBoy summed it up well.

I took a look at the $19.99 kit offered by diversdirect.com. Here are my thoughts:
- Looks like a aluminum tickle stick & gauge. If so, this is good as they will bend and not break like the plastic ones. Can be bent back into shape. A broken plastic gauge is no longer a gauge in the eyes of the Marine Patrol.
- The net is OK, it'll work.
- I'll refrain from comment on the gloves. Have never used the ones in the kit.
- Not crazy about the mesh bag. You'll need two hands to open that bag (one to pinch the clip while using the other to expand the draw string). This means you'll need a buddy (or extra appendages) to open the bag while you're holding onto the lobster that wants nothing to do with that mesh bag. Also each time you open the bag you have to be careful any of your previous catch doesn't get out. (OK, I really hate the mesh bag.)

I highly recommend the lobster bags with the trap doors. The one I have is similar to this one:
Lobster Locker Lobster Bag
It has a nice carry handle. Much easier to use. Just stuff your tasty catch through the wide trap door and you're done. Will easlly gobble up your daily lobster limit. It is kinda bulky though.

IMHO, either buy the kit (save the mesh bag for something else) and lobster locker or buy the pieces individually. Both options will probably cost about the same in the end.

Also, as SalmonBoy said... have fun and don't forget to check your gauges.

Thats a large net. You want a smaller one if you can. Your spaces are pretty small. My preference if I go that way. Lobster loops/snares work pretty good. Drawsting bags will be a PITA. Get the lobster inn bag with the trapdoor/flap and zipper on the bottom. Those gloves are junk. Them lobsters are sharp and if you get a big boy in your hands they are pretty strong. You'll want a metal gauge as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom