Liveaboard with fewer old people?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would be very interested in diving and chatting with a centenarian. I would want to know their secret so I could keep diving another 65 years.

(Of course, their secret would probably be something like "drink a fifth of Wild Turkey a week, smoke two packs a day, play chicken on the railroad tracks, and get hella lucky." Isn't that always the way of it?)
I don't think a fifth would be enough.

There is no one 30 years my senior.

So would I.
I'm 77.....

I am pretty sure I won't find too many as I am approaching 72 but I do hope to dive for many years yet.

I'm a young whippersnapper, only 65 years old, been diving 49 years. I'm still doing pretty well, just returned from 2 weeks in Bonaire, 44 dives, nearly 54 hours. I hope to be diving for many more years. I'll be doing the Revillagigedos at the end of May, signed up for Malpelo 2020.

I suspect there'd still be a few but there wouldn't be as many expensive lob's, without the older divers.

How many “inexpensive” or budget liveaboards are there? Blackbeard’s is the one that probably comes to most North Americans’ minds. I think there may be a few plying the Red Sea, and maybe some in Indonesia, but I don’t really know. A lot of that was probably discussed upthread. If I recall, the OP was sort of unusual in that she had one of those Silicon Valley type careers.

I don't know how many low ends there'd be, just that there'd probably some if we olders weren't interested.

I think the dive charter business overall worldwide will see changes in the next 20 years. Once the current group of “old” divers moves on I don’t think there is enough interest in diving with the upcoming group to maintain the current status quo. There are not enough individuals to replace those exiting and the ones coming in don’t have the spare cash to take lavish LB trips. Could be the end of an era, or at least a severely reduced industry.

I think the dive charter business overall worldwide will see changes in the next 20 years. Once the current group of “old” divers moves on I don’t think there is enough interest in diving with the upcoming group to maintain the current status quo. There are not enough individuals to replace those exiting and the ones coming in don’t have the spare cash to take lavish LB trips. Could be the end of an era, or at least a severely reduced industry.

I dont know about that. When I was in Thailand, we only had one couple older than me (late 30s) on the entire boat of 20+ people. The next boat I was on, I was the oldest by a solid decade (My favorite on that trip were three 22 year-olds from Seattle who kept calling me ``old man'' , we still keep in touch about dive trips. My recent trip to Kona, we had a one older couple. However the rest of us were under 50, with a couple guys in their 20s. The one younger guy is back in Kona on the Aggressor as we speak (well, he is off the boat now, but he was there last week haha)

Everyone's experience is different, but if you dont think the younger generation (who are driving Tesla and BMW to their highest sales in history) doesnt have extra money for a dive vacation, I think you might be mistaken.

I dont know about that. When I was in Thailand, we only had one couple older than me (late 30s) on the entire boat of 20+ people. The next boat I was on, I was the oldest by a solid decade (My favorite on that trip were three 22 year-olds from Seattle who kept calling me ``old man'' , we still keep in touch about dive trips. My recent trip to Kona, we had a one older couple. However the rest of us were under 50, with a couple guys in their 20s. The one younger guy is back in Kona on the Aggressor as we speak (well, he is off the boat now, but he was there last week haha)

Everyone's experience is different, but if you dont think the younger generation (who are driving Tesla and BMW to their highest sales in history) doesnt have extra money for a dive vacation, I think you might be mistaken.
The younger generation driving Tesla and bmw often are often maxed on DTI. Not including student loans also it’s not uncommon for adults to live with parents well into 30s not to mention they have the good fortune to stay on their parents health insurance plans until 26. The greater point is the majority of people in their 20s and 30s are not a model of financial stability.

The younger generation driving Tesla and bmw often are often maxed on DTI. Not including student loans also it’s not uncommon for adults to live with parents well into 30s not to mention they have the good fortune to stay on their parents health insurance plans until 26. The greater point is the majority of people in their 20s and 30s are not a model of financial stability.

Again, every experience is different, and maybe where you live. I understand the younger generation is saddled up to their neck paying for the boomers to live high on the hog, but that doesnt mean all of them are in poverty paying for the boomers dive trips.

Reactions: Ana

IMHO this is a very localized view. We live in a global economy and worldwide there are huge numbers moving into economic classes that now have disposable income that didn't in the past. Cultural, political, and even climactic changes will have as much to do with diving's popularity as a perceived generational economic challenge in a given locale. (In other words, it's not all about me and where I live. :)) All IMHO, YMMV.

They really aren’t p
Again, every experience is different, and maybe where you live. I understand the younger generation is saddled up to their neck paying for the boomers to live high on the hog, but that doesnt mean all of them are in poverty paying for the boomers dive trips.
Nobody is paying for boomers living high on the hog, the dirty secret is most of its just borrowed money anyways that won’t get paid back.

Back
Top Bottom