Liveaboard with fewer old people?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMHO this is a very localized view. We live in a global economy and worldwide there are huge numbers moving into economic classes that now have disposable income that didn't in the past. Cultural, political, and even climactic changes will have as much to do with diving's popularity as a perceived generational economic challenge in a given locale. (In other words, it's not all about me and where I live. :)) All IMHO, YMMV.

Good point. If even just a tiny tiny fraction of Chinese get into the liveaboard scene, that could make up for the downward trend in Western clientele.

Good point. If even just a tiny tiny fraction of Chinese get into the liveaboard scene, that could make up for the downward trend in Western clientele.
I was in Red Sea Sept 2018 and Maldives just 2 weeks ago April 2019. Both liveaboard operators said they are seeing a lot of tourists from China.

I flew NYC to Hong Kong to Maldives. The Hong Kong/Maldives flights were mainly people under 50.

Skipping airfare, the cost of Caribbean liveaboards is higher than many other locations such as Red Sea, Thailand, Maldives. You can find quality liveaboards in those 3 areas for under $2k and sometimes close to $1k. The diving and service is better too.

Scubaboard has a lot of US members and that skews the perception of worldwide diving.

Been on 3 Liveaboards with the same problem, most people 20 - 40 years old than me. Dont mind it too much, but would love to know groups that in my age to join on liveaboards

Been on a liveaboard twice with Stan Waterman - once when he was 85. It was great seeing younger divers giving the old man advice on diving when he had been underwater longer than most of them had been alive. He gave me lots of bon mots - enough to fill a chapter of one of my books. I'm catching up with Stan.

Been on 3 Liveaboards with the same problem, most people 20 - 40 years old than me. Dont mind it too much, but would love to know groups that in my age to join on liveaboards

We are the 20-40 years older than you divers...probably...but are by far the oldest with our LDS. On most trips, the ages range from 25-40 with us few outliers. They don't make us use walkers underwater and these are our pals now. Headed to a shop party soon to celebrate the owners 41st birthday...he's getting up there in years. There are dive shops out there that book trips which would have plenty of your age group. Good luck. Our shop is doing Socorro next year and Raja in 2021.

Rob

I'm tagging on this because a lot of what was said is true. I started diving in Belgium and have a real attachment to that dive club and still dive with them 12 years later. The group is generally any where from 21 on up to over 50. But let me tell you...the over 50 have some great stories and experiences. I have also found live aboards discuss diving and age is irrelevant in the discussions. I truly love the stories. So in saying that, find your niche of friends that enjoy diving. Also, 20 and early 30 have families...which makes LA a little more challenging. Food for thought. I don't worry about dive buddies...I just go. I will find someone for sure.

<<Been on 3 Liveaboards with the same problem, most people 20 - 40 years old than me.>> You can fix that problem: Offer to pay the way for others and you'll have to lock the door to keep them out. They probably won't all work out to be people you want to spend a week with though. And them following you home for more afterwards will be annoying too... :)

Young'uns physical fitness and diving quality score much higher than age on the importance list. I'd speculate that people who are worldly and fit enough to venture out diving around the world are probably on the more interesting end of the spectrum than your usual stereotype too. Being a single diver on a liveaboard works out pretty well too because you can connect with more of the passengers since you don't have to coordinate two personalities, just one. And hey, you can "party" with the crew too.

Just so I'm clear, you can put me on the free liveaboard list too. I promise I won't need to bum any more money off ya!

I've been on 9, going on # 10 and 11 in October. The length of liveaboards have ranged from 4-14 days, with most hitting the 7-10 day mark. I have found that the more expensive the liveaboard and/or destination is to get to (either in total dollars for the entire liveaboard itinerary or on a per day basis), the average age tends to be higher. More so if it is a remote or more difficult to get to destination...More time to get there. I also noticed this with the longer itineraries, which also tends to affect the total price for the trip and makes it higher. It makes sense...As you move further along in your career or are more financially established (read: get "older"), you can afford a more expensive trip or may have a larger disposable income and have more vacation time issued to you to enjoy.

I also noticed that you tend to get better or more experienced divers on those particular itineraries and situations as well, as opposed to a "dive once in a while/getting back into it" diver or someone who is supplementing their trip with diving rather than a purposeful dive vacation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom