Liveaboard with fewer old people?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think there would be many liveaboards without us old folks to pay the way

I suspect there'd still be a few but there wouldn't be as many expensive lob's, without the older divers.

Seeing how old this thread is, I figured maybe those inconvenient oldsters had died off since it started. Then I remembered I turned 50 awhile back. Now I can't wait to book a live-aboard and fuss at a whipper snapper. 'Get off my reef...!'

I have to confess I would be uncomfortable diving with people 30 years my senior.

Trying to be funny...
Perhaps we should start a posting...
Liveaboard with fewer new divers - fewer single tank divers - fewer young people (50 years old and younger)?

hahaha

I was only in my late 50s when a young student came to my office for a makeup exam. She saw my fishing rod in the corner and exclaimed "I think it's wonderful that you still go fishing!"
I suspect that a lot of young divers have a similarly distorted perspective. Older divers are an uncomfortable reminder of what awaits them in a future only a couple of dozen summers away. The transience of youth is something they tend to avoid acknowledging. Older divers interfere with the illusion.

I have to confess I would be uncomfortable diving with people 30 years my senior.
There is no one 30 years my senior.

I would be very interested in diving and chatting with a centenarian. I would want to know their secret so I could keep diving another 65 years.

(Of course, their secret would probably be something like "drink a fifth of Wild Turkey a week, smoke two packs a day, play chicken on the railroad tracks, and get hella lucky." Isn't that always the way of it?)

Back
Top Bottom