Liveaboard with fewer old people?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

270 posts-- many of the original posters have departed the SCUBA board-- gone on to other activities
My post from long ago- post number 77.

When My wife and I last visited Cozumel aka "Coz" we were in the senor bracket -- now we are in the antique category
A snippet from an event of long ago

"My wife Betty and I last visited Cozumel about 30 years ago...It was becoming too commercial and too crowded even at that early date for us-- we always attempted to remain ahead of the wave of dive locations popularity.

We had a great time with two Bonne Terre mine guides so many years ago. They had never dove open water, but were very comfortable in the salt water open ocean and for some unknown reason perhaps by natural selection we buddied up with them for most of the week.

The word had got out among the staff and other vacation divers that we were not typical Cozumel vacation divers

On the very last day of our visit we had made several dives and were underway to the second and last shallow dive site of our week long vacation.

I speak Spanish and had been speaking "Spanlish" all week with the crew. I inquired in Spanish as to how long to the next dive site ? Their reply in Spanish "45 minutes."

I returned to my seat along the gunnels informed my wife and our week long buddies buddies that we had 45 minutes to relax

Then I said what the heck ? Why not ? So I said " You are from the Missouri the 'Show Me State' - I will show you-- Pull out your dive bags start fiddling with your equipment" which they did. Soon the entre boat of divers were pulling out there dive bags, preparing their equipment and putting on their wet suits

As soon as every one was fully prepared to dive we shoved out bags under the seat and resumed out conversations for another 40 or so minutes to we arrived at the last dive site.

Some started chuckling that they had been had others were so hot the deck was steaming .

At the end of the dive and our vacations the Missourians insisted that it would be their honor to carry our equipment to our room for packing - Who could refuse that offer ?

We will never forget those two Missourians from Bonne Terre and the fun we had !"

the message is clear --Never trust an old diving couple who began diving before Cousteau

sdm

<<I also noticed that you tend to get better or more experienced divers on those particular itineraries>> I have found that liveaboards (the 7 day+ variety) in general tend to have a larger proportion of more serious divers. That reduces the likelihood of getting the "diver for today" people you might run into on the day cattleboat though doesn't eliminate that possibility. A much smaller group of people are interested in diving for 7 days and an even smaller group than that wants to do all 7 of those days in a row. However, I've been surprised at much money some people have to bring somebody who really doesn't dive on a $7000 trip. That downside of paying per person for your "lodging" certainly makes land based diving attractive.

I've found just the thing for young people who want to socialize with other young people on a dive live aboard. No cigar smoking embarrassingly garrulous booze swilling has- beens prattling about dull old stuff here!

www.allstarliveaboards.com/scuba-diving-scouts/

I've found just the thing for young people who want to socialize with other young people on a dive live aboard. No cigar smoking embarrassingly garrulous booze swilling has- beens prattling about dull old stuff here!

www.allstarliveaboards.com/scuba-diving-scouts/
Hmm.. don’t think my parole officer would want me anywhere near that..

We did the Bilikiki back in 2015. Had a great time and yes it was a much older group. However one diver in his late 70’s answered “I stopped counting at 10,000” when asked about # of dives. These were RIB North Sea dives. Awesome guy.

yet the group also consisted of a group of older ladies allergic to a .001 knot current and let everyone know it. So no manta dives. One also took issue with our 14 yr old son for leaving the outdoor shower on. Piece of work. Also the worst coral kickers and reef tomenters I’ve seen but thankfully you could go off on your own and do your own thing underwater.

thinking of booking again but I want a guarantee that there will be a few challenging dives no matter the whining.

I feel a bit like the OP. I'm 22 years old and I don't have a lot of friends besides my twin brother who doesn't dive. I thought I could make some friends my age in the diving community but pretty much all divers are 40+... I've had good times with those divers but I still long for connection with people my age.

FWIW, the youngest group I've run into was on the Red Sea Aggressor out of Marsa Alam last spring. I have no way of knowing whether or not that was a fluke or normal for the area. The bad news for me was that I turned 73 a couple of weeks ago on the boat at Turks and Caicos, the good news was that I did every dive during the week.

SEA has a slew of young expat divers. Our DM on Tioman was a 20 year old French kid named Hugo who was so damn good looking and charming he distracted from the reef.

To say he had a busy social life would be an understatement.

I feel a bit like the OP. I'm 22 years old and I don't have a lot of friends besides my twin brother who doesn't dive. I thought I could make some friends my age in the diving community but pretty much all divers are 40+... I've had good times with those divers but I still long for connection with people my age.

I'm happy to see younger people engaged in diving. Is there a dive club in your area that you could join and meet fellow divers? How about a local dive shop that offers trips? Is there an aquarium where you can become a member and meet others interested in the ocean and marine life? Perhaps there is a local college or university that offers night classes in marine ecology that you could take?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom