Liveaboard with fewer old people?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My trip aboard the Humboldt Explorer in the Galapagos Jan. 2020 had a surprisingly 'young' vibe; of 13 passengers, I was the 2nd oldest (I'm 50). It wasn't just that the passengers were fairly young, but what I guess you could call the enthusiasm and 'zest for life' had a youthful energy. Not many people talking about kids. And Galapagos live-aboard trips are not cheap. I thought about this old thread often in relation to that trip.

It surprised me; I thought the large majority of people able to splurge on a Galapagos live-aboard would be in the 40+ range.

My trip aboard the Humboldt Explorer in the Galapagos Jan. 2020 had a surprisingly 'young' vibe; of 13 passengers, I was the 2nd oldest (I'm 50). It wasn't just that the passengers were fairly young, but what I guess you could call the enthusiasm and 'zest for life' had a youthful energy. Not many people talking about kids. And Galapagos live-aboard trips are not cheap. I thought about this old thread often in relation to that trip.

It surprised me; I thought the large majority of people able to splurge on a Galapagos live-aboard would be in the 40+ range.

I remember you mentioning that in your trip report. I think the Galapagos may be an outlier. The relatively small number of younger but well-heeled divers may prefer to spend their money not on simply a more luxurious boat cruising the same old coral reefs as everyone else but on what they perceive as a more unique, more adventurous experience.

Interesting. I wonder if the water temperature had anything to do with it? Once when I was diving locally off a boat with some old-timers who had originally learned to dive here in SoCal before there was such a thing as certification, one of them mentioned that he felt like he was getting too old for this and maybe he was just going to stick to tropical diving from now on. It made me a little sad.

Interesting. I wonder if the water temperature had anything to do with it? Once when I was diving locally off a boat with some old-timers who had originally learned to dive here in SoCal before there was such a thing as certification, one of them mentioned that he felt like he was getting too old for this and maybe he was just going to stick to tropical diving from now on. It made me a little sad.

Oh, yeah, no doubt there is that, too. Galapagos diving seems a bit harder than the average tropical reef diving.

I have been on a couple of boats where I was not only the oldest diver, but one of only a couple that completed all the dives.
Me too!

Update 5 years later:

Pretty much quit diving after that terrible trip. Got back into it a bit a year ago when I started visiting Mexico more frequently, mainly cenote diving in Tulum. Recently did my first diving liveaboard in 5 years on the Gaia Love in Raja Ampat and loved it - while everyone WAS older, the mix of people was much better IMO. Just friendlier and more open, and overall level of service and experience was top notch.

Other random observations from revisiting this thread:

- I still prefer to rent over buy, especially as I am now a digital nomad.
- Agree that milennials probably prefer unique experiences - the only other liveaboard I've considered doing is Galapagos.
- Am definitely more of a vacation diver which is why I love Tulum cenote diving so much (VERY different from ocean diving, super chill) and which I usually pair with yoga and meditation retreat lolol
- Think broadly Asia is a better fit for me personally for ocean diving - higher diversity of people (more Europeans, Asians, etc. - not just Americans) - with the exception of Galapagos (probably a one and done thing)
- Definitely agree with the scuba diving + something else trend for milennials rather than pure scuba
- Have noticed more young Chinese divers, especially women! as it is apparently now "cool" for young Chinese women to dive and take hot photos underwater LOL - befriended some this time in Sorong - but they are more Instagram oriented, care less about technical details and more about the photo and going to be more destination specific. (Don't think all locations will benefit from them)

Overall, I laughed a lot at this thread. I came back to ScubaBoard for the first time in 5 years today because I wanted to write a trip report for my Gaia Love liveaboard and then remembered this thread lolol.....

I have since also picked up other new hobbies which involve lots of "older people" (pickleball, which I enjoy for the variety of people both by age group, profession, etc.). I definitely now realize it is my aversion to a certain person and a certain type of person (will avoid being so direct this time but you can draw your own conclusions...) that drove this post. Plus the terrible state of the coral in the Maldives which I am happy to report is NOT a problem in Raja Ampat!

I will continue selectively diving, focusing my time, energy - and money - on what I've enjoyed the most. For me, that's Tulum cenote diving and diving on the Gaia Love which was the best liveaboard that I've been on!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom