Live aboard sinks. Col. Maniac was on it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Col.Maniac

Reaction score
Hi, Went on a holiday to the red sea in sharm and 3 days in it sinks :(

Boat was the Wildcat.
Was moored on three lines in the "Alternatives". Had been there 12 hours, there having been an afternoon dive and a night dive at that spot. The group had had dinner, watched "Shrek" and gone to bed. At 2.30am one of the party who was asleep on the top deck went to the dive deck to relieve himself to discover that the vessel was low in the water at the stern and starting to list to starboard. The alarm was raised and everyone moved onto the deck. 5 yes 5 minutes later the vessel sank. Some of the divers were in the attendent rib four had to swim from the boat. All had only what they stood up in.
They were transferred to a fishing boat moored nearby and were then rescued by the Search and Rescue Unit who had scrambled from Transco harbour along with an Egyptian warship. The group were then brought back to Sharm by the Navy. Currently a salvage operation is underway with efforts to raise the vessel and return it to Transco. Speculation on why is that the generator cooling return hose snapped allowing sea water to be both pumped in by the generator whilst flooding in via the exhaust. All 14 divers are fit well and today Saturday recovering from a massive pissup last night.
Posted by Martin from Blue Ocean Diving and Chairman of the Survivours Club. Special T shirts available in the shop soon!!! Please pass this onto other site to update/inform the dive community of our safe return.

A full post can be found here :-http://www.yorkshire-divers.co.uk/cgi-bin/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=7;t=4051

Tony

Wow...Glad you and the others are safe and ok. Too bad about your trip but there are more important things.

Lucky escape.. lets hope you were able to recover all the gear and belongings. Doesn't happen oftern but it does happen.. inssurance is for such times. (as are beers)

Glad to hear that all made it out safe. I suppose that having a small bladder does pay off in some instances.......

Divecop once bubbled...
Glad to hear that all made it out safe. I suppose that having a small bladder does pay off in some instances.......
Hahahaha ... good to see there is a good side to most things

First: Thank God everyone is OK.

Next: This is my nomination for the funniest understatement of the year:

"All 14 divers are fit well and today Saturday recovering from a massive pissup last night...."

I the wake of this scary event, I find great humor in this sentance.

K

Hi,

Just to put a twist to the story, the chap who went for a pee always smokes pot before he goes to bed, hes always done this because he cant sleep. This particular night his pot stash got blowen over-board and he lost it all this event preventing him from sleeping in the night in question.

Had he been asleep 4 people would have drowned in the cabbin`s below deck.
All of us were so very lucky to get away unharmed.
Some of us took photo`s of the boat sinking and the rescue.
The photo i posted shows the boat sunk up to the top deck and bridge area, with a rib to the left of it, the photo was taken 100 yards away so it is poor quality :(
Tony

welcome back...
thank God you're ok and be able to dive again...
and one more thing, it only goes to show that pot can really kill...=-)
drugs and diving just don't match...:wink:

joele once bubbled...
welcome back...
thank God you're ok and be able to dive again...
and one more thing, it only goes to show that pot can really kill...=-)
drugs and diving just don't match...:wink:

That's right. You kids out there remember: If you smoke pot, you'll be asleep when your boats sinks. Stay in school too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom