Little Cayman or Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DreaminOfSand&Salt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Need opinions - can only pick one for 2014 - pros and cons - almost the same total money - we have only dove Cozumel and Key Largo.
Thanks in advance, Brian

The glory of Bonaire is shore diving. Easy diving when, where, however often you want to without a boat or guide. Driving a manual transmission truck with gear loaded in back around the west coast perimeter, stopping at a site marked with a yellow rock, pulling off road onto dead coral rubble, backing up facing the ocean, getting out, gearing up walking in without fins on, wading out to 4 feet deep, putting fins on, swimming out, then around 20 feet deep or more, there's a roughly 30 to 45 degree (guessing) 'hill' sloping down to the sand well over 100 feet deep. On that hill are abundant coral formations, and varied fish, mostly not big stuff but you might see a tarpon, barracuda, etc... You head down to a target depth, turn & swim perpendicular to shore, reach your turn pressure, and come back. Drive down the road and repeat. 2 To 4 dives/day, 5 or 6 if you're hard core.

It can be done differently and there is boat diving, but I think I laid out the standard. With shore diving, there's no boat staff to tip, but food costs can be substantial. Figure on a $70+ tank of gas late week for that truck.

I've been to Bonaire 7 times, Key Largo once. Loved both. Key Largo reef diving is mostly shallow; Bonaire diving can be 30 feet, 60 feet, 80 feet, etc..., at the same reef site, up to you. Viz. was better than Key Largo. With minimal current & high viz., wreck diving the Hilma Hooker is significantly easier than going up & down a barnacle clad mooring line in current to the Spiegel Grove and the Duane, plus you get a nice reef, but not Goliath Grouper.

I have not been to Little Cayman. From forum postings, Little Cayman Beach Resort is well-liked, the main place I'd research, and consider whether it's all inclusive. I believe Little Cayman is mainly boat diving.

Richard.

P.S.: What I saw in Key Largo that I didn't in Bonaire: Goliath Grouper, Porkfish, Atlantic Spadefish, Hogfish (Spanish Hogfish in both), 2 Nassau Grouper, a # of Black Grouper, Reef Sharks, Nurse Sharks, a few big Stingrays (at least one was a Ridgeback; in 7 1-week trips to Bonaire I saw one big brown stingray in Bonaire, a few eagle rays, never got near them; I did 20 dives in 5 days in Key Largo). I saw more big barracuda in Key Largo.

Bonaire had Tiger Grouper, a lot more sand divers, and I have seen a couple of sea horses and a frogfish there (all shown to me) and 2 star fish (one on the east side). I saw octopi and reef squid in Bonaire. I know Key Largo has some of the things I just didn't see there.

Bonaire - no question

I have dove the Keys and Bonaire but not Cayman. That said, I would say Bonaire. It is a very different diving experience. The quantity/quality of the 24/7 shore diving environment of Bonaire is unique in the Caribbean.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replys - I should also add that we are not overly concerned with marathon diving (no problem chilling out after dives) but more so the quality and diversity of the dives themselves. The choice is between two different group trips - LCBR and Den Laman in Bonaire - we are not hard to please when it comes to accommodations or dining and feel that we would be pleased with either resort. Again, our cost are roughly the same for each trip total with air so mainly looking for someone who has dove both as to which you would return to if you had to pick only one. ( Would love to do both but Mama says only one this year )

Thanks

I've been to both. Little Cayman is my favorite. I was a bit disappointed with Bonaire when I went to the Hieroglyphs and had everything stolen from a locked rental car in the middle of nowhere. Minimal crime in Little Cayman except for the murder on Friday. I believe it was a crime of passion.

The diving on Little Cayman is fantastic. Beautiful fish, shark,rays, turtle and the corals and sponges are in excellent shape. Little Cayman has the biggest Spiny Lobsters I have ever encountered. The small ones are 3 pounders. The weather will be northeast wind 10-15 knots, partly sunny and 85 degrees every day. Sometimes a cold front blows through and you'll dive the calm side, but you will still get to dive. I actually have never used a wetsuit in Cayman, so the water must be warm. Anyhow, enjoy the trip.

If you are interested in shore diving and lots of it Bonaire would be a good choice. If you're not I'd go with Little Cayman. I personally prefer Little Cayman as I find the diving more interesting (I like varied structure, and find Bonaire monotonous - plus I'm not much into shore diving that involves hauling gear all over the place.)

I have been to both and find the diving on Little Cayman vastly more interesting than Bonaire. I don't even think they are comparable. Once I discovered Little Cayman, I quit looking around for other places in the Caribbean. All of my diving on Little Cayman is shore diving, and I can get to all of the north shore sites but one (Cascades). It's work going out from shore, but not nearly as difficult as the shore diving I do here in California.

I have been to Bonaire several times . Really the only draw for me is the shore diving . I have heard from numourous reliable sources that Little Cayman offers the best reefs in the Caribbean bar none .

Been to both. We have been going to Bonaire every year for the past 6 or 7 years. During that time we have been to LCBR twice. I love both places! I know - not a lot of help there :wink: LCBR is just plain easy. VERY relaxing week even if you do the 2 morning and 1 afternoon dives. Much valet style diving. All your meals etc will be on the resort. Bloody Bay wall is just spectacular.
Bonaire can be as easy or challenging as you want to make it. We usually do 2 boat dives in the am with friends and another 2 shore dives in the afternoon on our own. That last part - on our own - is what makes Bonaire great for us. You are on your own schedule. Pull up to a site and there are other trucks, you can choose to move down to the next one! Bonaire also has dozens of fine restaurants to choose from.
So imo if you are interested in shore diving I give the edge to Bonaire. The good news is that you cannot make a bad choice here! Either place will give you great diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom