Little Cayman or Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Done both. The people in Little Cayman seemed friendlier.

I've been to both. I prefer Little Cayman. If you forget about everything else and just compare what you see once underwater, Little Cayman is better diving and more variety.

As others have said, Bonaire shore diving has it's advantages to dive when you want, where you want, as long as you want, and as often as you want. If quantity of diving were a high priority I'd choose Bonaire. Although the island is very conveniently setup for shore diving, loading/unloading tanks, shore entry/exits and driving around can start to seem like work after a while.

Thanks for the opinions - booked air for Little Cayman ... gonna be a long 10 months - might be able to get the wife talked in to something else between now and then :eyebrow:

Thanks again Brian

Thanks for the opinions - booked air for Little Cayman ... gonna be a long 10 months - might be able to get the wife talked in to something else between now and then :eyebrow:

Thanks again Brian
Come to Brac. The most beautiful place in the world. P.S. I always say that. Check the flights in mid january. Cheap

I'm amazed how people who have not been to both can presume to render a preference. I've been to both islands multiple times, love them but love them differently. The diving is hands down better on LC. Great walls, big animals and great variety. I've seen reef sharks frequently, oodles of Nassau Groupers, Goliath Groupers, Eagle Rays, Turtles, and more on LC. Mixing Bowl on Bloody Bay Wall is one of the best dives I've experienced anywhere. Bonaire offers dive freedom and lots of macro photo ops but the sites are all relatively similar and there are far fewer large animals. There is more coral bleaching on Bonaire and also petty crime. Trucks and hotel rooms get broken into and your personal property potentially stolen. I've never had any items dissapear on LC. The dive resorts on LC are outstanding, clean, modern with good food and service. On Bonaire, the dive lodges seem to be somewhat musty, mouldy, and at the places I've stayed, Buddy and Divi, the service spotty at best. Extra room keys, safe keys, hair dryers, toilet paper, repairs for broken plumbing and air conditioning always seem to be an effort. Service at LCBR and Southern Cross is exceptional.

Don't get me wrong, I continue to return to Bonaire because I like the laid back atmosphere, people, food, dive freedom, night shore diving and macro critters. However, if I were forced to choose one or the other, LC would win every time.

Bonaire - no question

Little Cayman - no question! ;-)

I've been to both, but only a couple of times. (Each...) Forgetting all the shore access stuff (which sux IMHO, but I hate sand...) I think it boils down to the type of diving you like.

Bonaire is known for its nice reefs, calm weather and pretty little fishies and weenie critters. The island has lots of good restaurants, the best ice cream in the Caribbean, and nice beaches. If you plan on shore diving, leave someone with your stuff, or it will likely be gone when you get back.

Little Cayman, on the other hand, is remote, mostly undeveloped, and has unbelievable walls, with big critters... rays, sharks etc. There are a few resorts (I stayed at The Little Cayman Beach Resort and it was nice...) There's no nightlife on the island, but lots of birds.

I enjoyed both, and you will too. Pick one and go. Then go to the other one next time...

Just to confuse things a bit, the second time I was in Bonaire, I did find the diving a bit dull. The DM picked up on this and invited me to dive with him on his day off on the windward side at dawn. In that hour, I saw a manta, several sharks and a few sea turtles. If/when I return to Bonaire, I will make an effort to dive the "wild side"... Welcome at Larry's Wild Side bonaire diving

Either way, compared to Key Largo, you'll be blown away. Cozumel will no longer be your favorite place... unless you prefer overcrowded reefs.

Thanks again Brian

As someone who has been to both places, three times each, I applaud your decision. Little Cayman diving is varied, wonderful, interesting, and exciting!

Have a wonderful trip!

I have been to both and find the diving on Little Cayman vastly more interesting than Bonaire. I don't even think they are comparable. Once I discovered Little Cayman, I quit looking around for other places in the Caribbean. All of my diving on Little Cayman is shore diving, and I can get to all of the north shore sites but one (Cascades). It's work going out from shore, but not nearly as difficult as the shore diving I do here in California.

Not shore dived Cascades? You must come with us some time ...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom