LiquidSkin or Not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UaVaj

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I am comparing Mares X-Vision to Mares X-Vision Liquidskin.

The black edition x-vision regular has a black skirt.
The black edition x-vixion liquidskin has a gray skirt.

Obviously the reviews on the LiquidSkin skirt have been awesome.

So for those of you that have tried the liquidskin skirt - do you think you could ever go back to a regular skirt?

My delima is I do want the liquidskin but I also want a black skirt. Reason for wanting the black skirt is to reduce glare/reflection on the interior mask window.

Greetings again from Indiana. I just posted on your earlier thread. Are you set on the Mares or have you considered any others? Nothing wrong with those if you have chosen. I would encourage you to dive both to determine which will work the best. Also try others if available, there are some really awesome low-profile easy clearing masks out there. Thats is why I love dive gear, there are as many different things to try to get the one that works perfect for you! Your doing excellent research, there is a ton of information on this forum as well in the diving magazines. My instructor e-mailed me a awesome list of new masks that evaluated them and gave the field of view in degrees. I found it very helpful in choosing which mask to try. I will try to post that information ASAP. Enjoy your search, CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

I am comparing Mares X-Vision to Mares X-Vision Liquidskin.

The black edition x-vision regular has a black skirt.
The black edition x-vixion liquidskin has a gray skirt.

Obviously the reviews on the LiquidSkin skirt have been awesome.

I am another one that will give a great review.

So for those of you that have tried the liquidskin skirt - do you think you could ever go back to a regular skirt?

Ummmm...NO! Unless there is something comparable in softness to try.

My delima is I do want the liquidskin but I also want a black skirt. Reason for wanting the black skirt is to reduce glare/reflection on the interior mask window.

I use the black/grey mask and it will block out 100% of the light from the sides. That is a non issue. Really sucks when your buddy is trying to signal you with his light, but works better for photography when trying to frame a shot through a small viewfinder.

I work at the scuba department in Sport Chalet that gives me an array of masks to try out. Both of the masks that you have picked are exellent. Liquidskin if you just happen to forget to shave that morning or like a bit of facial hair then that the Liquid Vision will seal better for you. For the price? I wouldn't buy it because it's 25 or so more than a regular Mares, agaunst aqualung the price margin is even more cheaper, but that is just me.

And would I go back to regular silicone? Yes.

For large faces I like to have my customers try out the Aqualung quartz 3 and Aqualung Makai 2 even the Sherwood Magnum (w/o purge) these masks are a bit harder to clear.

the small face or even woman's face I recommend the tyke midi or the omni jr.

for the medium to maybe a bit larger I like the Mares x-vision, Mares Mystique, Aqualung (U.S Divers) Look! mask (these can be outfitted with near sided lenses which Sport Chalet carries in store), Aqualung Tyke, Tusa Platina mask.

But my personal favorites is the Deep See Omni (frameless) and the Riffe Framless masks that are for the medium faces. These are 50-55.00. Lighter than the conventional, easy to clear and yet has a great seal.

Do I make commision over the products I mentioned? No haha.

As for the black skirt or clear skirt? That is up to you. I prefer black, clear silicone tends to turn brown after a while, bad excuse I know.

You're going to get just as much light blocked out with that grey skirt as you would with a black skirt. The liquidskin is pretty impressive, there really is a massive difference. I don't use one, because that mask doesn't fit my face, but I've had them in the water before (slight leak) and it was amazing.

I had the x-vision yellow mask. Then I bought the liquidskin black. It is softer on your face, I like it. It feels more comfortable...if you do 3-4 dives a day.

I have the black and grey liquidskin...I don't think I will ever go back to another mask...I LOVE that mask. I've tried 3 or 4 others, none compare to the comfort of the Liquidskin.

I am another supporter... I tried a few others on and then fell in love with the liquidskin! I would only buy another mask for something very low volume as a back up to carry. As far as the black vs grey skirts I am not sure, but the mask is awesome!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom