Lionfish hunting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snoweman

Untroubled Troll
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
  • What part of FL has the best liofish hunting? I prefer drift dives, but this will be my first lionfish hunt. I would like to be near a dive shop that would rent a Zoo Keeper, or similar contraption.

... I would like to be near a dive shop that would rent a Zoo Keeper, or similar contraption.

ZooKeepers are Awesome! For a backup plan, you can always go to any store that sells scissors (like kitchen scissors) and cut all the spines off underwater. Since this is your first time, it will be cheaper. What are you going to use to shoot/catch them with?

In my area off Tampa Bay you need to get pretty deep (100+ fsw) to find any significant numbers worth while.

I know the Pensacola and Jacksonville areas have been infested in the past, but honestly I don't know if that is still the case since so many people hunt them.

I'm traveling from ATL and my buddy is traveling from Arkansas. Making a Zoo Keeper is a bit of a PIA after arrival. I guess we're just not that MacGyver-ish. This is what I bought for spears, with the lionfish options: 3 in 1 Traveler Pole Spear | MAKO Spearguns

ZooKeepers are Awesome! For a backup plan, you can always go to any store that sells scissors (like kitchen scissors) and cut all the spines off underwater. Since this is your first time, it will be cheaper. What are you going to use to shoot/catch them with?

The folks in Belize cut off the spines while diving. That's cool, but I think I would want to bring garden shears to make sure I don't screw myself trying to cut off the spines.

I'm traveling from ATL and my buddy is traveling from Arkansas. Making a Zoo Keeper is a bit of a PIA after arrival. I guess we're just not that MacGyver-ish. This is what I bought for spears, with the lionfish options: 3 in 1 Traveler Pole Spear | MAKO Spearguns

That will work. Did you buy the short lionfish band? No need for a full size pole spear.

I don't know about renting ZooKeepers, but in my experience, just about anything in a dive shop is for rent. You could bring shears and a stringer or I would just buy their Lionfish Dungeon | MAKO Spearguns if you don't think you can get your hands on a containment device.

Question to lionfish hunters. Lionfishes are very venomous and also, very fast. Aren't you afraid that that you might be stung when you try to catch that fish.

Thats an incredible video. Are you seeing many diseased lionfish in Fla?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom