Lionfish hunting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... Making a Zoo Keeper is a bit of a PIA after arrival. I guess we're just not that MacGyver-ish....

Just keep it simple your first couple of dives and use the garden shears you mentioned. After they are cut stow them in a simple mesh bag. Some people try lionfish hunting and it turns out they don't like it because it's a hassle. Others love it. Try it and decide.

.... Aren't you afraid that that you might be stung when you try to catch that fish.
We catch alot..........Believe it or not but over 90% of my stings come from above water handling them on the boat deck.

We catch alot..........Believe it or not but over 90% of my stings come from above water handling them on the boat deck.

Where do you hunt? I want to do it just to help eradicate these pests. I know that's an impossible dream, but I do see reefs are healthier where the lionfish has been culled. I'm on the fence about leaving them behind to be eaten by other critters. Don't get me wrong. I think the buggers are delicious, but cleaning and cooking them while traveling is a bit of a pain.

If I went to the PCB area, it's not that bad of a drive. I could possibly drive back with the uncooked fillets in a cooler. Has anyone frozen the fillets? Does it affect the meat in taste or texture? Thanks for all of the replies.

Since you're travelling to SE Florida, you can dive out of boynton beach on any of the boats. When you're done hunting, filet them at the cleaning station at docks. Then, bring them over to two georges restaurant for dinner and they'll prepare 'em and grill 'em, fry 'em or whatever to your liking. Never gave them lions, but they always do a great job with grouper or snapper that I spear.

PS...
i'm not a huge fan of diving w/ lionfish hunters. They attract some unnecessary attention from certain sea creatures.... I've had bull sharks that get a little too curious often at low viz safety stop with instabuddies who have zookeepers filled w/ lions. Maybe because they aren't 100% dead when you stick them in the zookeeper and give off signals that trigger aggressive shark behavior.

Last edited:
Since you're travelling to SE Florida, you can dive out of boynton beach on any of the boats. When you're done hunting, filet them at the cleaning station at docks. Then, bring them over to two georges restaurant for dinner and they'll prepare 'em and grill 'em, fry 'em or whatever to your liking. Never gave them lions, but they always do a great job with grouper or snapper that I spear.

PS...
i'm not a huge fan of diving w/ lionfish hunters. They attract some unnecessary attention from certain sea creatures.... I've had bull sharks that get a little too curious often at low viz safety stop with instabuddies who have zookeepers filled w/ lions. Maybe because they aren't 100% dead when you stick them in the zookeeper and give off signals that trigger aggressive shark behavior.

I don't think I would want to hunt in low viz. I don't even want to snorkel when the waters get murky. The idea of bulls coming around would make me a little nervous. All the places I've been and seen lionfish being hunted, I have never seen sharks come around.

Thanks for the tip on Two Georges. I asked about restaurants to cook my catch in a previous post and got a lot of naysayers.

Where do you hunt? .........
We hunt in West Palm & Jupiter. Most of the lions we get are 85-130 deep. Our main reefs have almost zero lions which is great, but out deep they are still in numbers.

If I went to the PCB area, it's not that bad of a drive..... .
You should call our friends Pat Green at Panama City Dive Charters. He regularly organizes dedicated lionfish hunting charters for all levels of experience. He also has ALOT of gear to help the hunters. You even can team up with a couple of regulars and many will show you tricks and share a zookeeper with you. Their captains are excellent at putting divers on the lions without wasting time.

Scuba Diving | Panama City Beach | Panama City Diving

At least one of the boats running out of Pensacola has zookeepers they will loan you. You may want to decide where your going to go out of, what charter your going to use and ask them if they loan, rent, or can recommend who to contact.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom