Lion Fish Stings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the warmest water you can endure for approx 1 hous is the key. The thing is to "cook" the venom, which is a protein. Being cooked, its structure will be modified, rendering it innactive. That's what DAN said when I got stung.

I also took 5 advil (ibuprofen) and 5 benadryl in 2 shot before going to bed.

ON the morning, I had blisters, and swelling but the pain from the stung was gone, just the throbbing, from the swelling. To this day, I still have consequence from that encounter (lack of sensitivity in the finger and faster freezing)

I am told heat packs do not get hot enough to break down the proteins in the toxins. Otherwise, as all others have mentioned.. hottest water you can handle..

I was waiting for someone to say "just pee on it" and everything will be ok I got that advice after my son got stung by some jelly fish on the south side of the cape

Like others have said, water as hot as you can stand (obviously without burning yourself). The hot water denatures the proteins in lionfish venom. If you're on a boat, a good way to do this is from the engine exhaust.

Venomous Lionfish Sting

Source: Been stung before, hot water helps a lot. Time also critical, try to get the sting in hot water as soon as you can.

I was waiting for someone to say "just pee on it" and everything will be ok I got that advice after my son got stung by some jelly fish on the south side of the cape

If you had taken rescue course or the DAN first aid for diving accidents, you'd know that pee (urine) works on stings from nematacysts, but not on envenomations. Vinegar or meat tenderizor work better than urine on stings, but everyone has urine around. The nearest grocery store may be a ways away. The advice given for your son's stings was correct.

If you had taken rescue course or the DAN first aid for diving accidents, you'd know that pee (urine) works on stings from nematacysts, but not on envenomations. Vinegar or meat tenderizor work better than urine on stings, but everyone has urine around. The nearest grocery store may be a ways away. The advice given for your son's stings was correct.
Sorry, I do not find that in my DAN materials. And here are a couple more references that refute it:

Does urine help a jellyfish sting? - University of Arkansas Medical Sciences

Fact or Fiction?: Urinating on a Jellyfish Sting is an Effective Treatment: Scientific American

This was quoted from the U of Ark article.

“Despite what anyone tells you, do not apply vinegar, urine or meat tenderizer to the affected area,” UAMS neurosurgeon Dr. T. Glenn Pait says. “Do not rub the area or give the person any medication until checking with a medical professional.”

I disagree with his findings. I routinely have to clean a pipeline we have in the sea for our hatchery intake. It gets all kinds of hydroids growing on it. Even with wetsuit and gloves, we get stung a bit by the broken bits of these as we scrape them off.
One of my guys refused to wear a wetsuit. He was in misery when we got out. I doused him with vinegar and it instantly eased the pain and burning. Same with me.

What do you expect? He's from Arkansas.....:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom