line arrows

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pufferfish123 once bubbled...
In the case of a slit up, if one was to reel back to the main line, say using the jump reel , i dun want to think where is the exit. i want to feel the line arrows and go out immediately.

Buy a reel with more line on it so you don't need to do a jump.

thanks O ring.
if given a choice, would like to do a wrap or something to that effect, however some of the boats that i was in does not allow that.

sometimes we swim around the main deck to have a overall view of the ship first , while laying the main line.

from there, we decide on the rooms/area to explore or "jump" to.

it really depends on the plan that we have discussed before hand.

One of the emergency plans that we came up in the case of using a jump reel was to tie a line arrow at the point where the jump reel is tied to the main line - so in the case of a complete slit up , one would know where to go out

pufferfish123 once bubbled...

if given a choice, would like to do a wrap or something to that effect, however some of the boats that i was in does not allow that.

I completely don't follow. You're saying the boat operators won't let you set line placements? How are you going to run a line without being able to tie it off???

sometimes we swim around the main deck to have a overall view of the ship first , while laying the main line.

Ok... so you run a reel, then tie off the reel, then swim along the reel and jump from the line into a room?

First question. Why not do your general exploration, reel back in and explore the side rooms while you are returning?

Also... if you have one line running as a main line, and you do want to jump into a room for whatever reason, how hard would it be to remember which direction to head when you hit your main line? all you got to remember is 'left at the jump' or 'right at the jump'. It's not like you have a whole series of jumps....

Another idea and cheaper and easier, just get a clothes pin (plastic or wooden) and just place it on the exit side of your jump.

Spectre once bubbled...

I completely don't follow. You're saying the boat operators won't let you set line placements? How are you going to run a line without being able to tie it off???
I think he means inside the wreck itself...who give two craps what topside says

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...
I think he means inside the wreck itself...who give two craps what topside says

Yea. You gotta tie placements, expecially in wrecks. That line can't move or it's just going to get cut on a rusty piece of metal... then who cares if you have line arrows.

I still don't follow how you would need line arrows. If you are that uncomfortable with your natural navigation, you _definately_ don't belong running jumps, let alone going into the wreck in the first place.

:doctor:
It would not hurt for a wreck diver to take cavern training (if not cave) in addition to your wreck training, there are some differences understood, but the same principles are applicable. The lines ran in a wreck are not usually as long as that for a cave. BUT the overhead environment is just as dangerous. Lines arrows can be placed, ("always on the exit side") of a line especially at a junction or turn. Example if you are maping out a wreck (without having done any top side research) lines will help you do that. You may not lay permanent line but may run temporary line until you complete the mapping process. Line arrows provide reference to exits and a means of measuring distance and bearings, you only run line to EXIT the wreck not enter. NOW An EXAMPLE
If by chance lets say you are diving a very large wreck and you and your buddy work your way to the engine room. You tie off your line reel and you and your buddy leave the line to look at something near the boilers, Your buddy silts the room, your lights are now useless. In the silt you have turned around so many times you are now lost in referencing where your line is, (AWARENESS is important). When you ran your reel it was in the mid water column not on the wall. Using your safety reel you successfully find the main line again. In the silt you can't see more than 6 inches provided your lights are still working, somewhat (you don't have natural lighting through a port hole here folks). You make a choice and turn to what you believe to be the exit. Air supply is now getting real low because of the time you spent to calm down and deploy a second reel to find the main line and find your buddy. You think all is fine again and you swim to exit, that is until you realise that you just went deeper into the engine room. Air is now really getting low, you are breathing heavier you turn to correct yourself and your buddy (anxiety build up) and make the exit 50 feet to the engine room door you came through, Now you need to ascend the two levels of stairs you went down and still no natural lighting or a doorway to escape to open water and you are 50 feet down inside the wreck (100 ft penetration), the wreck is 90 feet to the deck (140 feet to the sand) where the first door is that you entered (190 ft penetration , includes virtual overhead, depth). Some of the corridors are tight and require that you move single file and you need to twist to get through a bulkhead doorway and past fallen stairs before you can ascend to get back to the first door you see that can take you to the main deck and open water. Had you smartly placed line arrows you may not of wasted that time trying to guess which way is out in the first place, the line arrows provide a reference to the exit in a complete blackout/siltout scenario. Dramatic Yes But realistic Yes. Divers have been recovered from just such an accident as this. If you do not have line arrows and deploy them correctly when needed then you are playing underwater poker with the Devil. Line arrows work in all overhead environments. (Ice divers have a teather to the surface)
Wreck Divers need to do Accident Studies as to why deaths occur and then maybe Line Arrows will become standard equipment in wreck penetration.

But I have to say What GDI makes sence to me.
Why not use the arrows anyway to point out.
Don't we use redundant systems on everything else in tech diving.
Or you can always write on your slate before your air runs out.
"I WAS SURE THAT WAS THE WAY OUT"
Then when they pull your dead fish eaton body from the wreck they can add your name to the" I should have known better list."
Just my opinion.
:eek:
Fred

actually that was what happened when we were doing a dive in a newly discovered wreck.

we went into a room and while we were inside, one part of the structure came down and the whole world turned dark. fortunately one of us did tie off the line arrows and we could find our way back to the main line.

we then decided that line arrows should be placed as a SOP, especially at the point where there is a jump off. The jump off reel MUST be tied over the line arrow (which points to the exit) .

:doctor:
Thats right Tie right into the line arrow, gives you immediate reference. You can help yourself by using a plastic hair braid ball at the end of your loop of your line, and then put a second small loop into the line that would permit you to pull the line off the arrow when you are wearing thick gloves. (I recommend that you cut the finger tips out of the gloves so that you can feel the line - for those who dive cold water wrecks) In short you have the main line loop and a small loop with a ball that will habg down when tied and allow you to easily pull the line off the arrow when needed to.

Does that make sense
anyway arrows are life savers use them

If you need examples of this stuff go to www.iucrr.org mainly cave stuff but still applicable

Back
Top Bottom