Lightweight alternative to Jet fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UPDATE

I have been using the ScubaPro Go Sport fins for almost a year now.

My opinion? Yes, they're light. But also very soft and too flexible.

In the swimming pool, the fins perform poorly in the back-kick because they're too soft.

In the ocean I dive in a shorty or 3mm wetsuit with a single AL80. In heavy current (e.g., Maldives), the fins are so flexible that I can kick like hell in the current but I don't go anywhere.

Okay, what next?

I'm gonna read through this thread again and buy another brand of fins. Any new recommendations?

UPDATE

In the swimming pool, the fins perform poorly in the back-kick because they're too soft.

In the ocean I dive in a shorty or 3mm wetsuit with a single AL80. In heavy current (e.g., Maldives), the fins are so flexible that I can kick like hell in the current but I don't go anywhere.

Okay, what next?

I'm gonna read through this thread again and buy another brand of fins. Any new recommendations?
Maybe the newer Gorilla version if you otherwise like them ...

UPDATE

Okay, what next?

Hands down Deep 6 Eddy fins. Is there any reason you haven't tried them before? If you were local, I'd just loan you a pair to try.

EDIT: and the offer to try the fins is open to anyone in the Puget Sound area.

UPDATE

Okay, what next?

Super nova

Hands down Deep 6 Eddy fins. Is there any reason you haven't tried them before? If you were local, I'd just loan you a pair to try.

EDIT: and the offer to try the fins is open to anyone in the Puget Sound area.
I love the Eddys - all except they are just a bit too long and stiff for me. I was actually about to post a request to trade my XL Eddys for some XL Slipstreams. I've also been curious about the Go Sport/GSGs but uncertain about the bent blades - I didn't like DR XTs and they have a similar bend.

The RK3s aren't that bad, just get the stiffer HD version.
Size XL is 2.88 kg

The Go-Sport Gorilla are notably stiffer through the mid section than the standard Go-Sports. Definitly have more push when frog kicking. The blade is still snappy and visually they are identical to the standard version. Bungee is heavier.

Using Eddys and Go-Sports in Cozumel, Eddys six weeks ago, Go-Sport Gorillas this week, I guess the Eddy does frog kick a little better and is overall stiffer.

Are the Deep 6 Eddy’s better than the Apeks AR3 ?
I think you mean Apeks RK3 (the non HD version which is lighter)

I have not tried the deep 6 but the RK3 are very floppy for me. I feel like I have to fin much more to get anywhere.

The Go-Sport Gorilla are notably stiffer through the mid section than the standard Go-Sports. Definitly have more push when frog kicking. The blade is still snappy and visually they are identical to the standard version. Bungee is heavier.

Using Eddys and Go-Sports in Cozumel, Eddys six weeks ago, Go-Sport Gorillas this week, I guess the Eddy does frog kick a little better and is overall stiffer.
Can you comment on the difference between Eddys, GSs, & GSGs when doing "power" flutter (like fighting current)?

I find the XL Eddys too big/stiff for me and lead to cramping. My OMS L Slipstreams were pretty much perfectly balanced. I was looking at the GSs and GSGs because they would be a bit lighter for travel and sinky feet when diving wet. But the bent-blades give me pause, since I found the (also bent) Dive-Rite XTs to scoop water on the upstroke and drive my legs down when flutter kicking hard - quite un-comfortable.

I have Eddy’s, jets and gosports. Gosports are fun and “snappy” but very easy to over power, kick to hard and they just flop; great for warm water recreational diving. I really like the Eddy’s but they like a long slow frog kick. They just don’t like flutter kicking and don’t seem to give much thrust on a modified frog kick. Jets, so much power with every type of kick.

I’m 6’1” and 200# smaller folks may have different results.

I find it much easier to adjust body position to compensate for heavy fins than too light fins.

Maybe Hollis F1 LT? Going by looks and feel might be the best lighter fin but I haven’t tried them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom