light recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AaronR103

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
OK, I give. I'm officially tired of my little POS C8 primary. What do y'all recommend for a cannister light? Much as I love the rest of my Halcyon gear, it's gonna be a while before I could afford a $1500 light. What are some good alternatives without sacrificing too much in quality?

A

check out salvodiving.com very good quality better than average prices.

Ditto the Salvo ... it's the best can light I've come across so far ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I just received the first Li lights from Salvo.

They are sweet little units. I'd recommend taking a hard look at one of those for a new light buyer....

And go with 21w if you can. You'll be feeling light envy soon enough if you get the 10w...

My next light will be a Salvo, without question. Great prices and after sales service is unmatched.

Wait... my Helios 4.5 never even came from there and they changed the defective cord while buddies waited. Thanks Dwayne.

I rented for an afternoons cave training while in Florida last month instead of having to buy a new light. Had several more days of training when my light failed.
Michael

IMHO The Proteus 3 is a good entry level DIR light. The drawbacks are the lead acid batt . Later when I needed more burn time I bought another lead acid to swap out between dives and now I built a NIMH batt pack that will get me more than 120 mins, more than I need right now.

From my limited experience, I would recommend at least an 18W HID and go for maximum burn time (so you have a margin when planning dives and/or for when you find yourself in a location where regular battery charging is not possible) - you will have to consider canister size vs. burn time vs, your diving need(s); getting a 13.5 A NiMH canister is probably overkill for single tank rec diving, for example.

jagfish:
I just received the first Li lights from Salvo.

They are sweet little units. I'd recommend taking a hard look at one of those for a new light buyer....

And go with 21w if you can. You'll be feeling light envy soon enough if you get the 10w...

cant wait for the light jagfish:) anyway i will recommend that you shell out the extra bucks if you can cough it up. i for one always upgrade to stuff sooner or later and regret buys just to save a few bucks.

you can try the $499 hid fixed focus from sea elite or the focusable $725 10w salvo. good luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom