Light Cannon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why dont you read your own posts.

In your first post you state "When I first put it together I screwed the little screw down so tight that it almost punched through the light. I have never even thought about checking it to make sure it is still tight..." In your last post you change it by saying "What I did is place a folded up piece of paper underneath the screw and then tightened the screw done on that, it has worked fine for me." Either you tightened the screw so tight that it punched thru the light or you put a piece of paper in there and it works fine. Which version is it?

Secondly, all Sharpenu said was that he or she came up from a dive and noticed the body gone and the handle remaining which is obviously the result of not tightening the screw in the handle. You suggest as a way to convince UK to replace the light that the facts be restated as follows: "I am sure UK will replace it if you just tell them you where worried about punching through the light houseing and they don't tell you how tight to make the screw so you had now way of knowing how tight to make it and it just came off, totally their fault." This, my friend, is "making up a story."

If we are going to have a meaningful dialogue from which others can learn, we should stick to the facts and refrain from restating what we said we said, especially when what we said is right there in front of us.

Regardless of who put the thing together ... the real problem is that the handle attachment design is pretty poor for a $200 light .. when I assembled mine I determined that the handle most certainly COULD come undone on a dive ... being the innovator I am I used plastic electrician's tape and secured the handle to the light casing to my satisfaction ... works for me!!

but you should be just as careful when making conclusions as you are about your gear. Well intentioned or not, assumptions will always get you burned. There is just not enough info to make those conclusions.

I wasn't going to respond anymore as I believe I made my point.

However, if you think that the tightening of the screw to lock in the handle is a bad design, I gotta tell you that using electrical tape to secure the handle is a whole lot worse.

First, electrical tape is not meant to secure anything. It is simply for insulation of an electrical connection. I can just see that tape melting in the sun on a diveboat.

If you want to secure the handle to the light body, why not use epoxy? But please don't go down there with electrical tape holding your light together. And make sure you have a backup.

Why use the UK Light Cannon, which suffers from the following maladies:

1) It falls apart
2) It's overly expensive
3) Batteries don't last long in it
4) It's a cubersome design

Why not spend a hundred more and get a quality HID canister light from, say, EE?

- Warren

Warren, I'll have one of those $300 HID lamps:) The cheapest they are on the website is $537.

I've been very impressed with the quality of my small 'UK' torches. I haven't yet found a need for anything brighter... yet. I'm sure I will as I do more British diving.

Oops -- I stand corrected. EE amazes me again with its prices....

AUL sells a 10 watt, 12 volt HID, 2 hours burn for $375.00. Of course, I'd probably splurge and buy the EE light... but still.

- Warren

pay attention mitch. (Everyone else can disregard this post, as nobody should care about getting this much detail.) The first thing I said was that I have not checked the tightness of the screw sense I assembled the light about a year ago, that is true. The second thing I said was that when I put my light together I used a piece of paper to keep the screw from punching through, that is also true, how is this possible, well lets see, when I first got my light I put the handle on and tightened the screw until it felt tight, guess what, the screw never felt tight to me because it was just screwing into the light housing, so, I took the screw out and saw that it had punched about half way through the housing, so I folded up a piece of paper and put it under there to give the screw something to tighten down on, then I put the handle back in and tightened the screw down on the piece of paper, sense then I have not checked on the screw to make sure it is still tight.
I could not have imagined that anyone would care that I had not given an exact recounting of how I put my light together but I guess that when you are not arguing facts but instead attacking people you have to take whatever you can get.
By the way, you never told us if you had a hole in your light too.

VTWarrenG, I sure would like an EE canister light but sense I only paid $150 for my UK light I am ok with it until I save up the money for the real deal. Maybe a NiMH helios 9 :)

Hey, nobody is attacking you. I simply am questioning your posts as they are inconsistant. So now you have come up with a new version in order to tie in the first two versions. However, you failed to address why you think it is okay to lie in order to get a company to replace a light.

To respond to your other question, my light handle works just fine. It is on snug and there is no hole caused by overtightening the screw in the handle.

Warren--- my light has never fallen apart and I don't find it any more cumbersom than any other primary light I have ever owned. Also, I don't find it overpriced as it is the cheapest HID light available. I had the same batteries for a year in my light and that isn't too bad. Customer service is excellent. My one complaint is that it is too bright and the color is too white.
But that is a very minor complaint. I wasn't aware that one can get a cannister light for only $100 more. If I new that, I probably would have waited. Just curious, where did you see it for so cheap?

It doesn't look like mitch is even reading half of the posts on this thread, and I don't see any reason to continue to converse with someone that isn't willing to go to the trouble to get even most of the facts before making unfounded insulting comments about my character, that comment "So now you have come up with a new version in order to tie in the first two versions." is what did it for me.

To address the question about lying to UK, because I don't want everyone else to think I am avoiding the issue, I said that Sharpenu should point out that the light handle came off because of a design flaw. I will admit that I suggested that he point out that design flaw in a way that would not have been honest for him, if my handle had fallen off I could call UK and honestly tell them exactly what I suggested Sharpenu tell them because that is what happened to me, so I guess I didn't see a problem lying to them about that. Actually I don't see a problem lying to a manufacture of a faulty product if that is the only way to get them to replace it like they should, and yes I think UK should replace this light.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom