Light Cannon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

that I have not offended anyone with what I have said, I have done my best to be calm and not resort to any insults or flaming. I did say that I agreed with Sharpenu's statement #5 and I guess that was the same thing as calling mitch an ass and for that I apologize. I have always tried to keep my posts here as mature as possible because I have an immense amount of respect for the people on this board and the wealth of information available here and I do not want to do anything to jeopardize my welcome.
Again I hope I have not offended anyone and I am sorry to anyone that I might have offended, I really do not have enough seniority here to be stepping on any toes.

The point of my original post was to say that I feel a $200 light should not come apart on a dive. The point is, I shouldn't HAVE to worry about a light that has been on 2 previous dives falling apart. Telling me I am a hazard and don't know how to dive is a direct insult and I have every right to be upset. I check my gear more thoroughly than almost any other diver I know. Expecting gear to function out of the box without breaking the first week it is used does not make me a whining litle baby. What I choose to spend on gear each year doesn't make me rich OR spoiled.

The fact is, I try to buy good, quality gear and maintain it to the best of my abilities. Actually, I replaced the batteries in the light just that morning and lubed the oring. The light was in good working order at the beginning of the dive day. You are making an assumption that because the light came apart, it was my fault for not checking the screw.

And just for your information, the factory gives up nothing by selling me a light wholesale, because they are forcing me to buy it through my LDS. UK is still making full profit on the sale, it is the LDS taking the hit.

1. Spare Air
2. DIR
3. Light Cannons

Subjects most likely to raise the blood pressure.
Who woulda thunk it?

I have a Light Cannon, but haven't gotten wet since I bought it (deeply ashamed about that), so I don't know whether I've got a screw loose, or not. Seems tight, doesn't wiggle, but you never know. Personally, I hate the mounting method, but it didn't really occur to me that I could lose my light because of it. Thanks, sharpenu, for sharing your experience.

Wow.....Why can't we all just get along?

I know one thing for sure....I'm going straight home after work & checking that screw on my Light Cannon handle!! I also think that a light that expensive should've had a little better design in the handle. Anyone from Underwater Kinetics on the board?

Cheers

I have a light cannon with the lantern grip (took the pistol grip off). Very snug. Liked the light, though I just bought a Halcyon P4 HID canister light, my buddy can take the UK now.

Two out of three ain't bad on the "things to raise your BP" from sumguy. Wonder if I should get a Spare Air to ballast the light canister....

Sharpenu wrote about the resolution of his complaint: “The factory has acknowledged that it is a design problem, but the best they would do is to sell me one wholesale. ($140)”

I find UK’s response somewhat puzzling. Now I’m not a lawyer (and I don’t play one on TV), but most products carry an “implied warranty of merchantability.” This means that a product 1) will pass without objection in the trade under the contract description; 2) is of fair average quality within the description; 3) is fit for the ordinary purposes for which such good is used; 4) is of even kind, quality and quantity within each unit or lot and among all units or lots involved; 5) is adequately packaged and labeled; and 6) conforms to the promises or affirmations of fact made on the container or label. UK might have disclaimed all implied warranties, but since they advertise that their products hold a “limited lifetime warranty,” I might be inclined to think otherwise.

So, now consider UK’s response: Per Sharpenu, UK acknowledges that a design problem apparently allows the unit to separate precipitously and perhaps without warning from the handle, presumably rendering it unfit for the “ordinary purpose,” unless the ordinary purpose is lining the ocean surface with burning torches! Is it just me, or does UK’s response seem, ah, irresponsible? How can UK acknowledge that its engineers directly created a problem that could leave a diver without illumination in an unlit and potentially hazardous setting, and then seemingly do nothing about it other than to offer to sell the diver another one of the same unit with the same design flaw? If, as Sharpenu reports, UK acknowledges this potential hazard as a product of their engineering, might not they consider a product recall or at least the posting of a warning to customers?

I note that Sharpenu is a firefighter and an EMT. Perhaps in error, by dint of his stated vocations, I attribute to him a certain degree to manual dexterity, mechanical aptitude, and equipment safety sensitivity. On that basis, I would believe that Sharpenu would have a reasonable sense of how much one might reasonably torque on a screw and that he would be oriented to the fitness of his gear. And so to postulate partial responsibility to Sharpenu, I have to assume that someone who routinely puts his life on the line when relying on gear has had a case of temporary insanity when engaging in the potentially dangerous sport of diving? Doesn’t sound persuasive to me!!?

As an aside, to the matter of LeisurePro having a retail price below the alleged wholesale price of $140, wholesale pricing often is a function of order or annual purchase volume. UK may well wholesale the unit to a low volume LDS for $140 (that resells at $199, on sale today only for the low, low price of $180!) and nonetheless to wholesale mega-customers like LeisurePro for, say, $120, which is content to sell it for a $19 profit margin because it is moving thousands of them each year!

And as a final point, is it just my imagination, or have there been an increased number of "web rage" incidents on this board during the past few weeks? Is this a summer heat phenomenon?

A very well thought through response.

To follow your line of reasoning, could it be that UK did not believe the design to be flawed and therefore did not replace the light?

UK has replaced lights with broken bulbs acknowledging a design flaw with the bulb. Why would they not replace a light if they agreed that there was a design flaw with the handle?

By the way, I don't think one can generalize about firemen having better mechanical abilities than the rest of the population. Perhap one can with mechanical engineers or trades people. Firefighters put out fires and teach fire prevention and that's about it.

Hmnnnnnnnnnnnnn..............

Obviously, the heroic acts of 09-11-2001 have not been indelibly carved into everyone's consciousness...

I would also suggest that you follow a firefighter for a day or so. Very little time is actually spent extinguishing fires... most of it is spent maintaining the equipment used to extinguish fires. Very few firefighters just sit around all day and collect their pay! You might just learn how simplistic and erroneous that statement is.

AllenG made a most reasoned post, and I find no fault in his logic. Well researched and impassioned, SharpenU would do well to use some of the arguments in his dealings with the various parties.

I encourage you to set aside the 9/11 heroics for a moment and learn all that firefighters do. Please cast aside your image of overpaid, overweight, under-educated civil servants sitting around a firehouse playing cards and continuously eating as they await the infrequent call to rescue old Lady Jone's cat from the tree. To be good at firefighting, these professionals (predominantly volunteer as it happens) have to be mechanically inclined and mechanically dexterous. Even with all their maintenance (and that is a big thing to them), gear can and does fail on-site and they can't wait for the nozzle manufacturer to make a house call to diagnose or fix the malfunctioning unit. They have to have a good knowledge of fluid dynamics (you don't just turn on the spigot and spray) and the physics of combustion. As an EMT, Sharpenu would have to have completed extensive medical training to enable him, under the radio-linked supervision of a physician, to perform some complex medical procedures. Sight-unseen, I'd bet on Sharpenu's mechanical aptitude over the corporate COO who decides to put a product to market because "well there will always be some minor problems in a product." (and no I'm not a firefighter or an EMT, I'm a corporate CEO who has rid his company of the aforementioned breed of COO)

What in the world does the level of mechanical ability of firefighters have whatsoever to do with the events of 9/11? Are you questioning my patriotism? Because, quite frankly, if you are using this insinuation that because I made a statement to which you disagree that I am somehow unpatriotic is pretty dangerous stuff. I would suggest that if you feel compelled to make the charge that I do not have the heroics of the firefighters of 9/11 indelibly carved into my conciousness or that I am flaming as you have said in your email, simply because you disagree with my comments, that you reconsider your arguements and stick to the issue at hand.

All I have stated is that I think UK is an upstanding company and that in my opinion, if they believed they had brought a faulty product to market that they would likely make good on it as they have demonstated in the case of broken bulbs. The guiderails on the body of the light are what hold the handle to the body. The screw is simply meant to keep the handle from moving along the guiderails. This, to me, is a simple and elegant design. Perhaps, it is not idiot proof. The only way I can see the body falling off the handle is if the owner forgot to tighten the screw. Not a design flaw.

Perhaps I made an undeserved generalization about firefighters not being any more technically oriented than the average person. Maybe they are more technically proficient. My assertion is based on firefighters I have known and a conversation I recently had with a fireman who explained that all maintainance of the firetrucks and most equipment is contracted out. I still maintain that a mechanical engineer, tradesman or auto repair person has a great deal more mechanical savvy than your average fireman. And it's got nothing to do with 9/11.

Back
Top Bottom