Lifeliner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2TH DIVR

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Picked up a Sportways steel 72 original and only hydro 1-73
There is a AMF SwimMaster sticker on the tank punched Nov 75 that states the tank has LIFELINER and should be serviced by trained techs.

I take out the valve and expect to find the inside coated.
No,there's a plug in the tank neck that looks like plastic milk jug with a hole for the dip tube to fit.

With nothing to loose I punched the piece into the tank and drop in my inspection light.

This is what I found. A heavy viny bag. Pulled it out and the tank is like brand new.

Anyone with more info on this?

Thanks

l

Attachments

• tankbag.jpg
    tankbag.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 64
Turn it over to the DEA. Somehow it sounds like something you wouldn't want to be caught with.:wink:

That's pretty unique. Never heard of such a thing. They sure tried all sorts of things back then.

Those were tried back in the 60's or 70's., I can't recall exactly when. I never saw anything other than the advertisements for them. I don't think they were on the market very long.

I remember those in the 70's.

I never actually saw one since it was only offered by Swimaster and there was no dealer in Puerto Rico for them.

They looked interesting, but kind of risky if moisture got behind the bag.

I never saw much of a need for all the internal coatings that were tried, but I guess not everyone was as careful with the inside of there tanks.

Picked up a Sportways steel 72 original and only hydro 1-73
There is a AMF SwimMaster sticker on the tank punched Nov 75 that states the tank has LIFELINER and should be serviced by trained techs.

I take out the valve and expect to find the inside coated.
No,there's a plug in the tank neck that looks like plastic milk jug with a hole for the dip tube to fit.

With nothing to loose I punched the piece into the tank and drop in my inspection light.

This is what I found. A heavy viny bag. Pulled it out and the tank is like brand new.

Anyone with more info on this?

Thanks

l

The Swimaster Lifeliner was first offered in 1974, and only lasted two years. The concept was a bit better than the internal hard coatings, as you could remove the liner to inspect the cylinder.

Swimaster also offered an aluminum tank valve that was issued with their aluminum cylinders. The intent was to eliminate electrolysis from dissimilar metals. They had a black anodized finish and were shorter than the typical brass versions.

Greg

I have a couple of those black anodized valves kicking about. I don't remember the whole story, just that they should not be used.

I have heard of these lifeliners before, and my understanding was that they were not successful because of the potential for moisture getting behind the liner. This could happen if there were micro-holes in the liner. But if there are no holes, then the steel is well protected by the plastic. In this case, with a clean tank behind the liner, I think you got a great deal.

SeaRat

.......and a cool piece of unique vintage gear for your personal museum. I wonder how many of those lifeliners have survived in such good shape. Neat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom