Level of Instruction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are several variables to producing a good diver.

First and foremost is the diver themselves. How much are they willing to put into the sport to become a good diver that cares about not only their own safety, but the safety of their fellow divers and protecting the environments in which they dive? Do they fully realize the potential dangers that can occur during any dive?

Another is the instructor. How much do they put into producing good divers? Do they go above and beyond the minimum standards of their training agency or are they just about cranking out as many as possible to attain personal goals or make as much money as possible? Do they fully understand options for gear and promote that the students have a basic comprehension of options before buying?

That brings up the agency. Do they have any Quality Assurance for their instructors &/or for the divers carrying c-cards issued? What programs do they have post-IDC to ensure quality instruction is taking place? I've never been asked by PADI what I thought of my various instructors and I"ve taken a whole slew of specialty courses.

GUE has a internship prior to anyone becoming an instructor. You can't just show up and plop down some cash to take an IDC, squeek through that then be off to do whatever you please. GUE instructors provide direct feedback to students during each class and provide individualized follow-up feedback after the class to tell students what strengths and weaknesses were observed during the class and what they need to focus on to keep improving. Another benefit is that they typically teach DIRF in teams of 2-3 instructors so students may have many instructors to work with that will contribute to their skills assessments. They have a maximum instructor to student ratio of 1:4. Video is taken of all divers during all training dives and are reviewed at the end of each day of class. The instructors point out what is being performed properly but will also discuss what was not done properly with examples of how to improve upon mistakes made. Students are able to learn from their own positives and negatives as well as those by every other student in the class.

My recent class was a significant turning point in my diving career. I thought I was a pretty decent diver but I knew going in that I probably had much more to accomplish. I know now that I was extremely lucky to never have had an emergency underwater because I was not able to react appropriately to every scenario during a training exercise. Heaven knows what I'd have done during a real crisis!! I have a LOT to work on.

People on any internet list or discussion board should be encouraged to research all available training, regardless of their current level of experience. LDS's generally will not be very open minded about that so we as fellow divers need to make these resources accessible.

Newer divers look to us not only for information, but also to act as mentors and role models. Having an open mind to what we do not already know is a good first step. If you don't know much about a particular agency or class, find out first, then run off at the mouth with opinions.

Becki

A few additional comments then I'm out:

Not one person officially affiliated with GUE will say that DIR is a new and novel invention. DIR as a holistic system was developed by researching everything known at the time then significant effort was put into combining only those elements that enabled safe diving in very extreme environments such as deep technical diving, wreck penetration and cave diving. If something didn't work or didn't belong it was removed and the system reassessed. DIR is merely a product of evolution. That being said, there most likely will be a continual evolution as more is known and proven through exhaustive trials.

There are some messengers that do not convey the DIR message effectively. You need to look beyond the style of delivery and get to the point of the message itself.

I was quite happy in my last set of gear. That is, until I tried out a friends' set up and saw the difference for myself. Any good dealer will provide demo or rental equipment. Try it for yourself and then decide for yourself what makes you the best diver you can be. Ignorance might be bliss in some environments, but in this sport it can be deadly. Decide how you wish to live.

They understand how to weight students properly before they get in. Once you put someone in water to deep to stand in, you don't have to touch the bottom. They then weight you so that when you exhale completely, you just begin to sink. Then you take into account the positive swing as the tank empties and adjust the weight. You should be close. There is none of the standard give them -- pounds of lead and sink them so they can do the skills.

That is not to say that they don't ever have a problem and bounce off the bottom or sides. From my understanding, from conversations with some of their instructors, they do make a game out of not touching the bottom or sides.

One more thing. FifthD is notorious for doing dry runs before you ever get in. You will have the basic understanding of certain concepts prior to being exposed to something if you are trained by Andrew or one of his instructors.

Butch103 once bubbled...
And I am only asking to give me some idea how this works....GUE having bouyant divers before they ever hit the water. Is this right ??....or are you saying before the open water ??...How do they get the weighting close and the students know how much air to put in their BCs...???? I just don't know how they will instinctively know these things. It takes a lot of us divers at least a few dives to get it even close........:boom: :boom:

Back
Top Bottom