Level of gear to buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interestingly enough, the guy at the LDS mentioned that the rental equipment is de-tuned so that it dosn't "free-flow". I can imagine that would annoy the instructor in the pool.

I want to take time to thank you all for the responses. My main concern at this point is to learn how not to be the kind of divers old timers look at and shake their heads and say "that guys gonna get hurt". Showing up with all new gear and not knowing how to hook it up scares me. I'm old enough to admit I don't know what I'm doing. BTW, I'm very happy with the SSI LDS class pace. I asked tons of questions and they never hurried me along. My questions actually started new discussions by the instructor that uncovered others concerns as well.

Keep talking, I'm listening :)

If you like the knighthawk BC, you'll love the Zeagle Brigade. Go check it out at www.scubatoys.com. It's a back inflate, so it takes some getting use to, but I love it. Sturdy, plenty of pockets, d-rings, etc.

Just my opinion. Congrats on the OW. Have fun in Mexico.

Fine regulator choices.

Did you dive that BC yet? It's hard to believe that it's the best choice for each of you without having done in the water evaluations. Buying BC by the specs is only part of the answer. Biggest beef I hear about the Knighthawk is lack of pocket space. Not everyone is comfortable on the surface in a back inflate BC. I didn't mind the ones I tried.

I'm a proponent of diving tables and analog instruments as a beginner and retaining analog capability once you move to the computer. I would learn more about your diving before dumping $$ into a computer. You already have one on top of your neck.

I'd get certified in shop gear then come home and do some serious shopping as a certified diver. If possible get some rentals out into open water. If not at least in shop pools. As you say eureka go ahead and buy. No need for an extended rental homeymoon but rentals can be a good selection tool.

Getting your own gear makes it much more likely that you will become a proficient, safe local diver. Travel dives are a bonus.

Nearly any dive gear is good safe and reliable to get the safety margin you want it's not price that counts its care in selection.

Pete

I think you did a fine job. Good choise and you seem to be ok weth the money. That is good. ["Take the nitrox class"] you paid more for your fines thin the class well cost. Be safe. Good luck.
I mesed the part that you where not certified yet, sorry. You might won't to do that first. Just in case you have problems that make pt that you can't dive. I now that is a smale % of people. But the LDS might take the gear back.

First, unless you're buying something really bizzare or inappropriate, it's pretty much impossible to buy a reg that's "over your ability level". An excellent reg is one you don't have to worry about, where you know that whatever happens, and wherever you go, it's going to work perfectly, exactly like it did every other time you used it.

Nobody ever complained their reg "breathed too good". It's not really possible to buy "too good" a reg, since it's only job is to breathe easy at any depth you want to go to, while supplying air to either 1 or 2 divers under any load.

I don't know anything about the BC, but the ScubaPro regs are very nice and will deliver all the air you need anywhere within recreational depth limits (and beyond).

The only possible down-side is that if you plan on diving in really-really-really cold water (like in the 30-40 degree range) you might want to consider an environmentally sealed reg like the Atomic Aquatics M1 (is the M2 out yet?).

Aside from that, the SP is an excellent reg and you'll love it.

One of the big differences betwen the good and bad regs is how well they perform at depth, under load. Almost anything will breathe OK with one relaxed diver at 40' on a reef with no current. Some start breathing hard at deeper depths. Then if you put the diver under stress they get even worse (which causes more stress).

A number of regs become clearly unacceptable at the deeper end of rec limits, with one or two stressed divers.

Unfortunately if there's any place you don't want to discover a crappy reg, it's at 100+' when your buddy ran out of air and is now sharing yours.

The ScubaPro will deliver all the air you and your buddy could possibly breathe at any depth you're likely to find yourself at, with the same ease as it does with one diver on a calm shallow dive. I think you'll like it a lot.

Terry

dflybldr:
Hi Gang,

New to the list and finally getting certified after 40 years of trying to see the bottom from the surface. I have always bought good equipment (tools) from the start in any endevour. My son (14) and I just finished our OW classes and pool time and will do the ocean dives in San Carlos Mexico later this month. I am on my way to the LDS to have them get me a quote on the following package (times two)

Knighthawk BC's
MK25/S600's
Suunto Cobra consoles with quick dissconnetcs and compass

No question about liking scuba and will probably make 50 dives a year.

My question is are we over buying for our ability level?

My philosophy is if I would glady write a check for the better piece of equipment at 10,000 ft if my airplane engine quits, and now at -80 ft when I can't breath, I'll do it now while I can.

Thanks in advance.

As everyone else said, the gear you've listed is high quality, high performance stuff. Regarding reg purchase, don't think for a second that your purchase of a high end reg has anything to do with safety; if you want safety, get a MK2 R190. It's almost indestructable and the unbalanced piston design will "remind" you that you're low on air at about 3-400PSI by starting to breathe a little harder. This is in case you or your son somehow forget to keep a close watch on your SPG, as is sometimes the case with new divers. Is the cobra an air integrated computer? If so, are you planning on not carrying a back up SPG? In that case, having the lowly unbalanced piston reg might really come in handy, if, for example, the air integrated computer malfunctions, and it definitely happens from time to time, leaving you with no information about your remaining air. As a new diver with little experience to deal with this, it can be pretty intimidating. The high performance MK25 S600 will breathe perfectly right down to the last breath of air in the tank, then suddenly, nothing. Whoops! Of course, this is a bit of a paranoid scenario, but sometimes simpler is really better, especially as you get some experience. Sure, the high end reg is going to breathe a little better at depth, but at your level of experience, you'll hardly tell the difference, and you're not going to enjoy diving any less because your reg only delivers 100SCFM (about twice the capacity of most 2nd stages) rather than 300SCFM (enough air for 20 or more divers) Sorry to go on about this, but my biggest gripe about the scuba gear frenzy is this BS that new divers buy a high end reg "because their lives are worth it"

Regarding the BC and the computer; again, sure it's good stuff, but you might very well find after 10-20 dives that you prefer a wrist computer or a different style BC; maybe something much simpler and less cumbersome like a BP/W with a simple harness, or you might like a jacket style BC, or maybe a zeagle; who knows? Wearing the BC in the shop tells you basically nothing about how it works underwater, and you need experience to know what works for you; not anybody else. This is the primary reason Mark recommended renting for a while, which everyone else seems to hate but I understand the logic. It is tough to get decent rental gear though.

Of course, people spend money on scuba gear for a variety of reasons, and for many people, spending the money on high end gear makes them feel better about getting into the hobby. There's nothing wrong with that, and it is your money....it's just that after some real diving experience, you're probably going to have very different ideas about what gear is best for you, at which point you'll be buying again.

dflybldr:
Ok, I'm back from the shop. Here's what I learned (in no particular order) ...

I wore the Blackhawk for an hour and never wanted to take it off :)
Both the boy and I are very comfortable in the ocean, so we probably won't mind the back inflate on the surface.

BH BCD comes with AIR2 (helped on price again)

Had a long talk about advantages of buying SP at LDS. It seems worth the $75 over online price for the regs.

Found 2 2005' MK25/S600 setups, (helped on price)

Cobra was $53 over online price. (gets me factory service)
Only have to buy one computer interface.

It's alot of coin, but here are my thoughts.

1. The LDS will be much more motivated to help me setup my equipment.

2. We will both have identical stuff so we can help in an emergency because we already know how it works.

3. It seems even more important as a newbe to not have to compensate for unfamiliar equipment during info overload at -80ft (sorry, still being a pilot)

4. We are not trying this to see if we like it. (like maybe a spouse that has "issues" with the environment)

5. Worst case, it seems like these choices move fast on the secondary market.

6. Who can really "afford" this sport, but I don't have to finance it.

7. You should see the boys grades! He has earned it.

6. It all looks cool. Hey, at least I'm honest.

7. Lifetime warrenty on all equipment.

Anyway, thanks for all the input, it really does help.

BTW, the shop recommended that we dive Nitrox on the OW cert dives, then we just take the class for the specialty. Maybe a new thread?

Thanks

Sounds like you really did your homework and bought what you bought and where you baought it for all the right reasons. Specific to #7 above, as a "Dad", you ROCK! Good luck to you and your son in your new endeavor. I look forward to introducing my daughter to diving in about 10 years or so. I hope she has the "grades" to justify it as well. :)

My local Dive shop!
I have found them to be the best resource to date. The crew @ GLS has always been there for me. The guys have thousands of dives between them and attend dive shows a couple times each year, so they are up to date on the latest and greatest and also know the try ed and true!
If your are lucky enough to have a dive shop, don't pass up this wealth of information. (you'll find most of it free) I have also found the resource of other divers and there experiences. I found that the dive shop wants to sell gear but, they also want be to be happy with what I have bought! So they help by asking me questions about my diving needs and goals. So I don't wind up buying gear that I going to sell on abay, in a year any how. Oh! and not to forget all the great dive buddies, (including GLS crew) that I dive with!

Regards, George

Sounds to me to be a damned good choice. I dove a knight hawk myself, and SP regs for YEARS. Now that im a cold water diver, I went to Apeks, and I also ended up with a BPW, but your pick of gear is a top notch choice configuration in my opinion. good for you for not cheaping out!!! Good gear just makes your'e experience better. Have a ball!!

Just from my personal experience, I think it makes sense to buy gear. You just have to realize that what you buy now may not be what you want in a year, after you've had more experience. But you will dive more if you have your own gear, and I think you will be safer if you are diving gear with which you are utterly familiar.

Just one comment about the Air2 setup -- if you use the Air2, and keep a standard 24" hose on your primary second stage, you will find air-sharing very awkward, because you donate a primary that doesn't have much reach. You end up essentially eye-to-eye and I found it quite uncomfortable. Standard octopus hoses are longer -- 36" or more -- just for this reason. In addition, realize that having the Air2 means you will not be able to borrow gear from somebody else to try it out -- for example, if you read too much Scubaboard and decide you just HAVE to see what this BP/W nonsense is all about :) or rent it, if you make a trip where you aren't sure you'll dive so you just take your regulators with you instead of hauling all your gear.

My husband and I both went with the Air2 with our original setups, and both of us have switched to using a second second stage instead.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom