Level of gear to buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dflybldr:
Hi Gang,

New to the list and finally getting certified after 40 years of trying to see the bottom from the surface. I have always bought good equipment (tools) from the start in any endevour. My son (14) and I just finished our OW classes and pool time and will do the ocean dives in San Carlos Mexico later this month. I am on my way to the LDS to have them get me a quote on the following package (times two)

Knighthawk BC's
MK25/S600's
Suunto Cobra consoles with quick dissconnetcs and compass

No question about liking scuba and will probably make 50 dives a year.

My question is are we over buying for our ability level?

My philosophy is if I would glady write a check for the better piece of equipment at 10,000 ft if my airplane engine quits, and now at -80 ft when I can't breath, I'll do it now while I can.

Thanks in advance.

First of all, nice choices on the Equipment. Solid performers and excellent quality throughout your choice range. You should be proud of your choices first off as you did well.

Knighthawk - Excellent BCD. Many dump valves. light weight and easy to travel with but solid enough to work in many condidtions. Excellent construction/solid resale value.

Scubapro Regs: Solid work horse. Very High Quality/Excellent resale value

Cobra - Again, one of the most popular on the market.

Now everyone could argue about my Aqualung Legend LX being a better Regulator or how the Ranger is a Better than my Knighthawk or that my AirZ is better/worse than the Cobra (which I also own) but the truth is....it all comes down to what you are comfortable with and how it fits each individual. These are all excellent products and solid performers. Get fitted and make sure they work for each of you.

I am also having back plate envy at this point but for now I am very happy with my Knighthawk for the 40-50 dives I do every year Florida and tropical locations. Maybe next year......but I got a lot out of my equipment to this point and I made the right choice in my opinion.

Are you buying over your ability level. Absolutely not.

mark99:
Sorry I have to disagree. Renting gear is a big hassle, it's usually pay by the day, so you have to go the day before, pick it up, learn the particular features of that particular piece, then return it right away when finished. If you own your own eqpt, you'll be ready to go on a moment's notice, and I suspect you'll be more likely to dive more. Your comment about "just writing a check" indicated that money is not particularly tight so don't be afraid to own top of the line eqpt even if you are new. If you want to change, you can always sell it on eBay. Factoring in the cost of rental vs. ease of use, I'd say if funds are an issue, you'd be much better buying a new regulator, and used everything else, than renting.
mark99,

Please do not take offense at this post.

Where did I say "just writing a check"? I have not edited my posts in this thread. I did say that if the cost of better gear was a "little more" then it may be worth the difference.

I am still using the original regulator set I purchased years ago, but I have plans to replace it in a year or so. The BC, fins, mask, knife, computer, and all the little clips and stuff are things of the past. If I had waited until I had a hundred dives I might have made better choices, but at zero dives I was COMPLETELY clueless. At least when I did buy my first set of gear I did not get anything unsafe or insanely expensive, just middle of the road gear that was fine for a new diver.

My counsel is to wait long enough so that the original poster is able to make his own decisions based on his own experiences. If along the way he is able to try many different styles and brands then he will be better equipped to make those choices.

Mark Vlahos

dflybldr:
Knighthawk BC's
MK25/S600's

My philosophy is if I would glady write a check for the better piece of equipment at 10,000 ft if my airplane engine quits, and now at -80 ft when I can't breath, I'll do it now while I can.

Thanks in advance.

Your choices look like they are top quality and should serve you well for many years. It is not necessary to spend that much to obtain reliability (a Mk2/R190 is every bit as reliable as a Mk25/S600) but you seem to be getting not just reliable grear, but also excellent performance. As long as it is affordable, why not go with the good stuff.

I realise I havent got the experience that most of you guys have but with plans to dive most weekends pretty soon I decided to buy my gear now rather than waiting. Most of the stuff I have rented has been average at best and I will feel so much safer with my own gear that I know has never been mistreated. I can get to know it completely whih surely makes the dive safer and learn its limits. As far as buying gear for your ability is concerned I would always buy the best possible or at least the best I can afford. It is after all your life support down there and I dont particularly like skimping at the risk of my life. I'm making sure I get the opinions of as many people I can on each piece of gear before purchasing and will hopefully try before buying eg. never considered bp/w over bcd but am now leaning towards it.

dflybldr:
Hi Gang,

New to the list and finally getting certified after 40 years of trying to see the bottom from the surface. I have always bought good equipment (tools) from the start in any endevour. My son (14) and I just finished our OW classes and pool time and will do the ocean dives in San Carlos Mexico later this month. I am on my way to the LDS to have them get me a quote on the following package (times two)

Knighthawk BC's
MK25/S600's

No question about liking scuba and will probably make 50 dives a year.

Thanks in advance.

This is a fine package and will serve you well for a long time. Inevitably, there will be things you want to tweak here and there but that will happen regardless of what you buy now.

I wish the hell my father bought me a rig like that when I was 14. Where did I go wrong?

Ok, I'm back from the shop. Here's what I learned (in no particular order) ...

I wore the Blackhawk for an hour and never wanted to take it off :)
Both the boy and I are very comfortable in the ocean, so we probably won't mind the back inflate on the surface.

BH BCD comes with AIR2 (helped on price again)

Had a long talk about advantages of buying SP at LDS. It seems worth the $75 over online price for the regs.

Found 2 2005' MK25/S600 setups, (helped on price)

Cobra was $53 over online price. (gets me factory service)
Only have to buy one computer interface.

It's alot of coin, but here are my thoughts.

1. The LDS will be much more motivated to help me setup my equipment.

2. We will both have identical stuff so we can help in an emergency because we already know how it works.

3. It seems even more important as a newbe to not have to compensate for unfamiliar equipment during info overload at -80ft (sorry, still being a pilot)

4. We are not trying this to see if we like it. (like maybe a spouse that has "issues" with the environment)

5. Worst case, it seems like these choices move fast on the secondary market.

6. Who can really "afford" this sport, but I don't have to finance it.

7. You should see the boys grades! He has earned it.

6. It all looks cool. Hey, at least I'm honest.

7. Lifetime warrenty on all equipment.

Anyway, thanks for all the input, it really does help.

BTW, the shop recommended that we dive Nitrox on the OW cert dives, then we just take the class for the specialty. Maybe a new thread?

Thanks

dflybldr:
Ok, I'm back from the shop. Here's what I learned (in no particular order) ...

I wore the Blackhawk for an hour and never wanted to take it off :)
How it feels out of the water is not necessarily how it will feel in the water.

dflybldr:
Both the boy and I are very comfortable in the ocean, so we probably won't mind the back inflate on the surface.
Back inflate on the surface is a big NON issue, you will be fine. Just lean back in the easy chair.

dflybldr:
BH BCD comes with AIR2 (helped on price again)
I personally don't like the AIR2 or any of its clones, for me a real backup second stage is worth every penny in a real emergency. You have said that you are a pilot, think carefully about how you want backup gear configured.

dflybldr:
Had a long talk about advantages of buying SP at LDS. It seems worth the $75 over online price for the regs.
I agree, purchase this (regs) at the real brick and mortar shop in person.

dflybldr:
Found 2 2005' MK25/S600 setups, (helped on price)

Cobra was $53 over online price. (gets me factory service)
Only have to buy one computer interface.

It's alot of coin, but here are my thoughts.

1. The LDS will be much more motivated to help me setup my equipment.
#1 I agree, the shop would be well justified to charge you a fee to setup gear purchased elsewhere, but when purchased from them it should be setup for free (included in purchase price). This free setup should include any minor adjustments you feel are needed after a few dives, should that be necessary.

dflybldr:
2. We will both have identical stuff so we can help in an emergency because we already know how it works.

3. It seems even more important as a newbe to not have to compensate for unfamiliar equipment during info overload at -80ft (sorry, still being a pilot)
#3 Keep your depth to 60 feet or less during your first several dives.

dflybldr:
4. We are not trying this to see if we like it. (like maybe a spouse that has "issues" with the environment)

5. Worst case, it seems like these choices move fast on the secondary market.

6. Who can really "afford" this sport, but I don't have to finance it.

#7 That is great, I wish my Father had been so inclined

dflybldr:
6. It all looks cool. Hey, at least I'm honest.

7. Lifetime warrenty on all equipment.
#7 The warranty is to the original purchaser only and even then only when purchased from an authorized shop. So the warranty comes from the retail brick and mortar store, but not online

dflybldr:
Anyway, thanks for all the input, it really does help.

BTW, the shop recommended that we dive Nitrox on the OW cert dives, then we just take the class for the specialty. Maybe a new thread?
Nitrox does a number of things for you, and I think it is a good thing. One of the things that Nitrox can do for you is to extend bottom times, you will probably not get this benefit for several, perhaps from 20 to 50 dives. You will take in less nitrogen and I think that is a good thing, but there are other risks that need to be considered and will be covered in a class.

dflybldr:
Mark Vlahos

dflybldr:

Sounds like you've earned it too...by being a great dad spending time with your son!
Good luck with your new gear!

I was in the same position a few weeks ago, here's what I came up with.

I wanted a top of the line regulator set up. This is your most important piece of life support equipment, why cut corners here. All the big names are good, I picked one that I could get serviced locally. I ended up with a Mares Proton Ice and Proton Octopus from LP.

For my BCD I wanted good quality, but I didn't want to spend a lot of money. I had a situation early on where I ended up waiting for the dive boat in some choppy water. I had a rear inflate BC, and my trim wastn't very good. Fighting to keep my face out of the water made me very uncomfortable. I went with a jacket style BC to make sure I don't have this experience again. I'm sure I'll want something different in the future, but I don't want another bad experience while I'm learning. The Triple-l Libra was just the ticket. At $160 I can recover most of my investment on ebay when I'm ready to upgrade.

I bought an Oceaninc Veo 200 console w/compass on ebay.

For less that $800 total I think I got a pretty good setup.

Mark Vlahos:
The original poster lives in Arizona so at the least he is probably going to drive to San Diego for a weekend of diving... 4 to 6 dives in two days so 2 days of rental for lets call it 5 dives. There are package deals available from some of the boats and area shops so perhaps $100 for a set of gear for the weekend.

For his next trip lets say he travels to Maui and the gear is included for free with his dives, he does 5 days of diving with a mixture of 2 tank dives, 3 tank dives and an added night dive so lets say that he gets in 12 dives in the week. For this the cost of rentals is still at the $100 mark and he is a third of the way to the 50 dives.

Some people like to go to Club Med where the dive gear is (or at least used to be) included. Others like a trip to Cozumel or some other island in the Carribean. Sure in some places rentals are expensive, but in others the gear is free or inexpensive.

If you do one dive a day and pay the full rental price for the day on each of the 50 dives sure the price will be high, but most of us don't dive that way at first. Most new divers I have seen go to a tropical location and dive for a week, or dive on a local boat where there may be discounted rentals.

One issue not mentioned is the maintenance of the gear, both the cost and the hassle factor. I do own all of my gear and purchased it slowly over the first 50 or so dives. I have one buddy that rents the BC and reg for every dive, he pays more in the long run but when he steps off the boat he is ready to get in the car and go to dinner, me, I need to rinse and hang up my gear a process that can take a while.

No one comment from myself or any others will be the only advice to follow, the best advice will get the original poster to think about alternatives and make his own mind up according to his budget and lifestyle.

Mark Vlahos

Sorry but i have to disagree about renting gear to try it out. Mainly because most shops rental fleet is low end gear, been used, abused, and mistreated. you really never know what you will get. A good balanced reg breaths so much better than an unbalanced one, and most shops rent unbalanced regs (shop trick to get you to buy your own.)

Going the ebay route can save you money, but the poster doesn't seem interested in saving money. if you buy a scuba pro reg on ebay you do not get the warranty. in a shop you do, parts over the lifetime of the reg, 20 years will cost you more in the long run than what you saved buying from ebay. you also never know what you will get online.

My advice is go ahead and get the gear you mentioned in the first post, very good gear will last years, and when your ready to move onto other types of diving that may require different gear you can either buy it, and have two sets or sell what you have and upgrade. a backplate wing is what i dive, but also have a scuba pro classic jacket i teach in. the knighthawk is a great half way system between the two different styles.

just my .02 worth you get what you pay for.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom