Let's get to know the Philippine paradise divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey guys! Nauna pa kayo pag post kesa sa akin! Hehe. Around 3/4 of my dives were done either sa Camiguin, or the areas from Balingoan to Medina. I had a number of dives in Medina since I have a coral restoration project there and I'm also helping a local marine biologist with his projects, although last time I went there was last summer pa.

indigoscuba:
Hey guys! Nauna pa kayo pag post kesa sa akin! Hehe. Around 3/4 of my dives were done either sa Camiguin, or the areas from Balingoan to Medina. I had a number of dives in Medina since I have a coral restoration project there and I'm also helping a local marine biologist with his projects, although last time I went there was last summer pa.

welcome bud!

@jag: tangke pleease :D

indigoscuba:
hey that's cool indigo,

Iris_ice, Vane_03, and I are part of the Marine Science Institute here at UP Diliman. Would love to hear more about your projects. Masters student ka ba?

Hi chip! No, I'm in no way a masters student nor do I pose to be one. I'm 17 years old. Hehe. The project that I did was a 3rd-4th yr high-school paper. It was a bit advanced for a high-school project though. The project is about coral restoration through mineral accretion technology. This was inspired from a previous project done by a local marine biologist who I was also helping in his study. The help I was doing was not really that much, I was just taking samples and helping position the substrates, etc. More on technical stuff rather than the scientific stuff. Hehe.

Wow, rescue diver at age 17!! teka.. parang nasabi ko na to ah!

Congrats and welcome to PPD, indigo. Sabay na tayo magpa-palo ng tangke as initiation. :D Galing mo naman, advanced na ang knowledge mo sa ganyan. Do you also want to be a marine biologist? Ako parang gusto ko kasi ganda pakinggan eh.. pero bobo ako sa science hehe

indigoscuba:
Hi chip! No, I'm in no way a masters student nor do I pose to be one. I'm 17 years old. Hehe. The project that I did was a 3rd-4th yr high-school paper. It was a bit advanced for a high-school project though. The project is about coral restoration through mineral accretion technology. This was inspired from a previous project done by a local marine biologist who I was also helping in his study. The help I was doing was not really that much, I was just taking samples and helping position the substrates, etc. More on technical stuff rather than the scientific stuff. Hehe.
woah! MA technology! No kidding it's a bit advanced for high school kids! Great experience nonetheless! Who's your prof? Dr. Sabater?

So how do you power your substrate? Dr. Yap, one of the profs here, used solar panels in puerto galera and they had strong winds the first night and it blew the panels right into the water! Talk about bad luck. Hope your results were interesting.

edit: hehehe, ya...at 17 maybe not a masters yet...forgot to think about that detail. :)

Actually, when I was in high school, I wanted to take up medicine, but now I'm taking up nursing since even family doc friends advice to taking it instead. Diving for me is more of a hobby, an adventure and a way to chill out, being neutrally buoyant underwater where the only noise that you can hear is your breathing and nature itself. I just really like to help out in projects which preserve our sea since I find it as a very valuable resource for all of us. :D

Oh, and about the MA project, we tried out a different approach, using concrete modules rather than electrically stimulated MA on pure steel modules since the latter setup is pretty expensive to fund. With our setup, artificially planted coral growth was better than the naturally growing corals. My mentor is Dr. Lemuel Alfeche btw. :)

Hehe. Thanks. Actually my (lost) card was a Jr. Rescue, PADI is still processing my c-card upgrade still didn't arrive yet. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom