Lessons I have taken from Recent Accidents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
AND the discussions surrounding them.....

1) Often, on my last stop, I have held an ascent line in rough seas and rocked up and down by just a few feet, and not thought much about it. Now, I realize it cannot be optimal for my offgassing physics. I learned what a Jon line is and plan to put a bolt snap on my buddy leash and stash behind my backplate. JB can whip it out if we need it on stops in rough seas.

2) If I ever improvise when putting gear together, I should be careful to think through ALL possible implications.

3) 100% Oxygen can effect outcome profoundly and reduce irreversable brain injury.

4) Long flights set your body up for dehydration and Deep Vein Thrombosis---we know this already, but don't often DO anything differently to compensate. Some of us take aspirin before long flights. Some physicians do too, even when they do not advise others to do so, since there is no real science yet to support it. The consensus seems to be that it won't hurt. On flights, push fluids...drink a lot of water and walk around every couple of hours, it might be more important than we ever thought.

5) Cardiovascular Events are a very common cause of death. (Even our "shark attack" off Maui turned out to be yet another garden variety heart attack...
Aerobic exercise and healthy diet might be one of the best ways to dive safely..

6) Massive PE often presents suddenly and often is not recusitatable. Often rescuers will not find a pulse. (Pulse checks no longer taught for laymen)

7) Dive partners often suffer from "survivor's guilt" and need to be supported and encouraged not to second-guess their own actions.

8) The dive community experiences the loss and sometimes the grief is misdirected and presents as anger against others that may be unjustified or better channeled another way.

9) recompression of venous gas bubbles can reappear on the arterial side of the circulation on bounce profile. All people have a physiologic shunt, blood that is not filtered by the pulmonary vasculature.

10) I was reminded that a diver who has been bent once, is at higher risk to be bent again.

11) Powerful ocean conditions can complicate and prevent timely ocean rescues or even cause death. Extreme conditions require boat captains with local knowledge of surf, wind and currents.

Anybody else have any little epiphanies or concepts that were amplified lately?

catherine96821:
Anybody else have any little epiphanies or concepts that were amplified lately?

Yes.

onfloat:
None of us are immune.

Oh, she actually wanted us to post our thoughts. :wink:

A good dive buddy is still one of the best pieces of dive gear you can have.

and

You can lead a diver to knowledge...

oh...you guys are no fun.

Come on...tell me what important points escaped me.

An exceptionally good list. But I would clarify this:

catherine96821:
10) I was reminded that a diver who has been bent once, is at higher risk to be bent again.

A diver who take an "undeserved" hit should look for the root cause (maybe a PFO). A diver who gets bent from missing 30 min of deco may not be at risk of getting bent again he if doesn't make another mistake.

And I would add:

Stuff happens....even if we follow all the rules.

okay...let's look at this another way. the guy that misses or skips a stop is probably at higher risk for doing that again from a BEHAVIOR standpoint. When my son guzzled the economy sized bottle of grape tylenol, the ER doc put it very succinctly. "these guys are repeat offenders"...be very careful.

hypothetical examples:

forgetful

aggressive

careless

So, I think I am correct. (even though you are smarter) :D a lot of the list I got from you.

I knew this before but it bears repeating, training and experience mean nothing if you panic.

It also seems like most, or at the very least a lot, of dive related deaths can be attributed to pre-existing or chronic medical conditions including poor fitness. Although being under water can exacerbate a problem, the dive or equipment is not the main cause in most cases.

catherine96821:
oh...you guys are no fun.

Come on...tell me what important points escaped me.

On the contrary, I'm lots of fun. It's just hard to tell in type. :wink:

Cave divers tend to be pretty serious, don't they?

NO GOOFING around in caves, even I know that.

dive related deaths can be attributed to pre-existing or chronic medical conditions

I, too, am struck by this over and over. Does this register with most, you think?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom