Lemon Sharks Time of Year?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As to 'how far south ? ' lemon's go....they go all the way to Dry Tortugas. But the NOAA scientists come to Jupiter cause that's the peak aggregation when it comes to numbers. Look at any Lemon shark scientific report paper on mating and it will mention Jupiter Fl.

Some lemons stick around all year and can be seen in well known dive sites that the Jupiter Charter boats know. The peak of lemon shark mating season is towards the end of January when they are bunched up. It's not like the goliath mating season which is very short compared and 'poof' the hundreds are dwindled down to a handful.

So I'll give you my own humble opinion on the peak best weekend and "mostly' fool proof after asking friends to spend hundreds of dollars on hotel rooms, airline tickets and food to come see them for 20+ years.

Pick the weekend after Martin Luther King holiday weekend. {not MLK wkend & not 1st Feb wkend), it's gotta be exactly that weekend. It's something to do with the weather fronts and the slight window of go or no-go diving. This has always been a peak weekend to see the lemons but at the Capt Kurls site and also the MG111 site by the hundreds. But sharks move and the wreck trek has a famous following of lemons too. Also don't forget to explore the reef line just east of the MG111 which will also hold a bunch of huge nurse sharks laying in the sand in pairs. Just wild to see a monster nurse hiding under a ledge every 20 feet as you swim over the top of it looking for bugs.

Given everything I've said above, this is the exact best weekend and folks know it so you might be too late now to book a trip on a boat since groups buy out the whole boat. Call now, but I wouldn't wait.

P.S. I don't know what's going on in Jupiter waters this last summer and fall, but everything seems to be showing up TWO weeks early. The clockwork whale sharks, Manta Rays, Mullet Run, & Cubera's spawn have all been 2 weeks early than what I've got on my annual fish calendar of what to look for underwater. But the weather patterns have not changed. I'll be sticking with the weekend after MLK.

The "season" starts near end of December and goes through March.

Weather and seas are very unpredictable that time of year, but end of Jan is excellent for timing, and Jupiter definitely is the place.

As to 'how far south ? ' lemon's go....they go all the way to Dry Tortugas. But the NOAA scientists come to Jupiter cause that's the peak aggregation when it comes to numbers. Look at any Lemon shark scientific report paper on mating and it will mention Jupiter Fl.

Some lemons stick around all year and can be seen in well known dive sites that the Jupiter Charter boats know. The peak of lemon shark mating season is towards the end of January when they are bunched up. It's not like the goliath mating season which is very short compared and 'poof' the hundreds are dwindled down to a handful.

So I'll give you my own humble opinion on the peak best weekend and "mostly' fool proof after asking friends to spend hundreds of dollars on hotel rooms, airline tickets and food to come see them for 20+ years.

Pick the weekend after Martin Luther King holiday weekend. {not MLK wkend & not 1st Feb wkend), it's gotta be exactly that weekend. It's something to do with the weather fronts and the slight window of go or no-go diving. This has always been a peak weekend to see the lemons but at the Capt Kurls site and also the MG111 site by the hundreds. But sharks move and the wreck trek has a famous following of lemons too. Also don't forget to explore the reef line just east of the MG111 which will also hold a bunch of huge nurse sharks laying in the sand in pairs. Just wild to see a monster nurse hiding under a ledge every 20 feet as you swim over the top of it looking for bugs.

Given everything I've said above, this is the exact best weekend and folks know it so you might be too late now to book a trip on a boat since groups buy out the whole boat. Call now, but I wouldn't wait.

P.S. I don't know what's going on in Jupiter waters this last summer and fall, but everything seems to be showing up TWO weeks early. The clockwork whale sharks, Manta Rays, Mullet Run, & Cubera's spawn have all been 2 weeks early than what I've got on my annual fish calendar of what to look for underwater. But the weather patterns have not changed. I'll be sticking with the weekend after MLK.

Ha, @Johnoly I will be down the 19th-25th, maybe I'll get lucky. I'll probably try to do the 3 tanker on the 20th. My birthday is the 25th, have never had the opportunity to do the free bday dive with JDC

Ha, @Johnoly .... I'll probably try to do the 3 tanker on the 20th.....
I can't commit yet, but I put it on my calendar that you are in town. That's the exact day I would dive. The lemon's will be there by the bunches!!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom