Leisure Pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PhinDiver:
The big problem I see with buying LIFESUPPORT equipment from the internet is how do I know what kind of shape it is in.

Yes, I work for a ScubaPro Dealership.

I don't see the problem. If it is new, then it should be in new shape. And if it is used then....

I'm afraid I don't see how this is related to purchasing from the internet vs LDS.

It seems to me that no matter where one purchase's diving equipment, one always takes the chance that it could be defective or damaged. Some of these post's sound like one should only purchase diving equipment from a dive shop. Does this really insure that we (THE CONSUMER) could never get a bad deal or defective equipment and everything would be "perfect' from a LDS? I think not but if so then I should also think that you (LDS owners) only buy your cars from an authorized dealership? (never a used car from a private lot by doing so you'll practice what you're preaching) And of course you always take it back to an authorized dealership for all your oil changes and anything else your car may ever need and never look for a bargin else where. Tires??? The dealership sells tires. Why go anywhere else even if you can get a better deal at Sears. (By the way... Sears sold me my first set of scuba gear) And Heaven forbid don't use the internet or go somewhere else if they are not an "authorized" dealer.

My point!? We "ALL" shop around for the best deal we can find based on our buget. It used to be store to store and then town to town and now we have the internet. No matter where I go to purchase whatever it maybe at the time, I look for the best deal and as a consumer it really shouldn't matter where it's purchased, so long as a fair deal is received. A store needs to earn one's business, not just look for ways to take our money. Also, the word "retail" is "an invitation to barter" (ask any COLLEGE grad that is a store manager and they'll tell you so) This is one thing I find difficult about my local dive shop, they don't want to deal, but not all LDS are this way. LP is a LDS to some people (not me, I live in Michigan) and they offer internet availibility also. Great for them and us (THE CONSUMERS). So, if you are a LDS owner/employee.... compete with LP and Scuba Toys, etc. and start your own internet catalog on line or find a way to make your business unique. In otherwords, work for my business. If you choose not to, then quite all your whining about LP, Scubas Toys or any other company on the WWW already competing for our business. They're doing a great job for us THE CONSUMERS, in meeting some of our needs. I would hope this would be a good thing.

Enough said because I really sound one sided and don't mean to be because I'm not. There is a need for LDS as much as the need for internet dive catologs. For me they both work hand in hand. My LDS may not carry what I'm looking for, nor is it open late at night. Thus, I shop on line. If I need something right away I can go to my LDS and not the internet. So what's the problem? I don't hear the internet companies complaining to me about going to my LDS or bad mouthing them. If they did, it would turn me away from using them. But I do hear some LDS bad mouthing the internet stores, and this pushes me away from my LDS. I feel they should be using their energy to sell themselves and putting their customers needs first, verses bad mouthing the internet stores. This by no means will earn a LDS my respect.

Respectfully,

JustDiveIt

We have what we call preferred customers at our shop. These are customers who make most of their purchases from us. They bring something in for service, they are first served. They want air up theiir tanks while they wait, not a problem. They want to use our pool, please, no charge, jump right in, would u like a tank of air?

Recently during the first night of an open water class a student started right off about how much better his prices were online that what we offered. I said we'd talk about equipment purchases later in the course and why don't we move forward. He kept it up and after a few minutes I stepped out of the classroom and called for the manager. We presented him with a full refund and even let him keep his books and dvd. We encouraged him to go to his online shop and get certifed there and have them fill his tanks.

There is another shop an hour away and they can have him. I instruct more for the love of it than for the money since we don't exactly make big bucks teaching scuba. When someone walks into our shop and poor mouths it I don't want them around screwing up my enjoyment.

Some of our customers purchase stuff from Lesiurepro. One came in and showed us his gear and of course asked us to assemble it for him. That wasn't going to be free. Then we mentioned what we would do for him service wise and how we'd throw in a master diver program if he had bought the same stuff from us. We mentioned the free parts for life, the half price service and all the other things. He asked if we had a way to package and return the Leisurepro system so he could purchase from us.

We smiled :)

Al Mialkovsky:
We have what we call preferred customers at our shop. These are customers who make most of their purchases from us. They bring something in for service, they are first served. They want air up theiir tanks while they wait, not a problem. They want to use our pool, please, no charge, jump right in, would u like a tank of air?

Recently during the first night of an open water class a student started right off about how much better his prices were online that what we offered. I said we'd talk about equipment purchases later in the course and why don't we move forward. He kept it up and after a few minutes I stepped out of the classroom and called for the manager. We presented him with a full refund and even let him keep his books and dvd. We encouraged him to go to his online shop and get certifed there and have them fill his tanks.

There is another shop an hour away and they can have him. I instruct more for the love of it than for the money since we don't exactly make big bucks teaching scuba. When someone walks into our shop and poor mouths it I don't want them around screwing up my enjoyment.

Some of our customers purchase stuff from Lesiurepro. One came in and showed us his gear and of course asked us to assemble it for him. That wasn't going to be free. Then we mentioned what we would do for him service wise and how we'd throw in a master diver program if he had bought the same stuff from us. We mentioned the free parts for life, the half price service and all the other things. He asked if we had a way to package and return the Leisurepro system so he could purchase from us.

We smiled :)

Its kinds of upsetting you sent a new student on their way like that tho. I mean you mentioned it was an open water class? A new diver might not understand all the ins and outs of equipment and might have been looking at it as how we compare prices when grocery shopping. Totally different but as a new diver it takes time to figure things out. I mean I had no idea how important my LDs would be to me, Im only glad they were patient.

I have ordered several items from leisure pro in the past and everytime I received great friendly service, fast delivery, and, so far, have never had a problem...unlike some other (not mentioning any names).

ScubaTwo:
Its kinds of upsetting you sent a new student on their way like that tho. I mean you mentioned it was an open water class? A new diver might not understand all the ins and outs of equipment and might have been looking at it as how we compare prices when grocery shopping. Totally different but as a new diver it takes time to figure things out. I mean I had no idea how important my LDs would be to me, Im only glad they were patient.

Possibly, but this would be bad etiquitte in most types of business - I don't go into Radio Shack and start telling customers how much cheaper everything is over at Circuit City ... I may do a lot of my purchasing online for gear, but when I go into the LDS, I don't try to recruit sales for my online vendor. The shop personnel know where I got my gear, they also know I support them and send other customers their way when possible. Now if I overhear that someone needs something which they cannot provide I will pull the manager or an employee aside, explain where it can be found and ask if I can inform their customer. If they object that's cool - it's their business, but hopefully they recognize that good service will bring more future business than "playing dumb" will.

Aloha, Tim

kidspot:
Possibly, but this would be bad etiquitte in most types of business - I don't go into Radio Shack and start telling customers how much cheaper everything is over at Circuit City ... I may do a lot of my purchasing online for gear, but when I go into the LDS, I don't try to recruit sales for my online vendor. The shop personnel know where I got my gear, they also know I support them and send other customers their way when possible. Now if I overhear that someone needs something which they cannot provide I will pull the manager or an employee aside, explain where it can be found and ask if I can inform their customer. If they object that's cool - it's their business, but hopefully they recognize that good service will bring more future business than "playing dumb" will.

Aloha, Tim

I agree with the exception that he/she said this was a class. Not a buying transaction. I dont know. Just seems harsh.

ScubaTwo:
I agree with the exception that he/she said this was a class. Not a buying transaction. I dont know. Just seems harsh.

Well, if the student was being especially disruptive of the class, I can see how it would be warranted. Otherwise if I were one of the remaining students, I don't think I would consider it very professional. In fact I'd be worried about my safety.

I don't see the problem. If it is new, then it should be in new shape. And if it is used then....

Actually, I am not talking new or used. I am saying whether or not the equipment can work. When a customer purchases a regulator system from me, I take the stages to our service area and assemble the system. I also test the IP and breathing resistance.

Back
Top Bottom