Has anyone tested the AOI UCL-90 Pro lens? How does it compare to the Nauticam CMC1?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

afieldofblue

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hello all,

I'm hesitating between these two closeup diopters, to replace the current +12.5 / +6 stack that I am using.

The CMC-1 is roughly a +15 diopter, whereas the recently released AOI UCL-90 Pro is an 18.5 diopter.

Both are high quality, high magnification bright lenses with a compact design.

Difference-wise, the AOI UCL-90 Pro does not have a front thread, however, and is over $100 USD more expensive than the Nauticam.
The AOI UCL-90 Pro came out in 2022, and there's been very little on it.

Has anyone used both and would care to comment on their experience?

Thanks!

Looking in to the stacking options these two lenses would give me, which are such:

I have an INON +6 = good for closeups, wider shots, and an AOI-UCL09 +12.5, which is a nice lens.
I most often use a stacked AOI+INON +18.5 (good range but long, less working distance, loss of light compared to single 18.5, and heavy), and have stacked a roughly +15 on this at times.

With the CMC-1, I would get the following options:

CMC1 = +15 ? - untested
CMC1 + INON = +21 - sounds like a solid option
CMC1 + AOI = 27.5 - working distance is probably too small

With the CMC-1, I would get the following options, keeping in mind that any stack would be with the weakest lens first

UCL90 Pro = +18.5 - tested on land more light / contrast, smaller lens compared to my stack
UCL90 Pro + INON = +24.5
UCL90 + AOI UCL09 = +31 (tested on land, tiny working distance, not practical)

Difficult to choose between a single diopter which would give me +18.5 to start with (but is more expensive, and less "stackable") and one which would give me a roughly +15, which is just above the 12.5 I already have, but possibly more stackable...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom