Leisure Pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PhinDiver:
I don't see the problem. If it is new, then it should be in new shape. And if it is used then....

Actually, I am not talking new or used. I am saying whether or not the equipment can work. When a customer purchases a regulator system from me, I take the stages to our service area and assemble the system. I also test the IP and breathing resistance.
Well, first, it's not exactly rocket science to attach hoses to a 1st stage. Is it gorilla-proof? No... but a gorilla shouldn't be doing any of this in the first place, like attaching a 1st stage to a valve.

Second, be honest... how often have you found where a regulator out of the box was out of spec? How about far enough out that it's a safety or functionality issue? I'm not a tech -- I don't know. Equipment is tested at the factory (isn't it?); so like a lot of things in life, it's a matter of trust to some degree -- just like I trust the guys who designed the equipment in the first place. I'm honestly curious, because I've ordered regulators from both LP and from ScubaToys, and have used them without checking the specs, without problem... I suspect LP didn't bench-test their new stuff, and I don't know about Larry...

--Marek

PhinDiver:
I don't see the problem. If it is new, then it should be in new shape. And if it is used then....

Actually, I am not talking new or used. I am saying whether or not the equipment can work. When a customer purchases a regulator system from me, I take the stages to our service area and assemble the system. I also test the IP and breathing resistance.

I understand. An LDS (or a knowledgable buddy) is absolutely essential to the diver who can't or won't learn some of the basics of equipment operation and maintenance. Divers with such knowledge are much less dependent on the expertise of an LDS.

Al Mialkovsky:
We have what we call preferred customers at our shop. These are customers who make most of their purchases from us. They bring something in for service, they are first served. They want air up theiir tanks while they wait, not a problem. They want to use our pool, please, no charge, jump right in, would u like a tank of air?

Recently during the first night of an open water class a student started right off about how much better his prices were online that what we offered. I said we'd talk about equipment purchases later in the course and why don't we move forward. He kept it up and after a few minutes I stepped out of the classroom and called for the manager. We presented him with a full refund and even let him keep his books and dvd. We encouraged him to go to his online shop and get certifed there and have them fill his tanks.

There is another shop an hour away and they can have him. I instruct more for the love of it than for the money since we don't exactly make big bucks teaching scuba. When someone walks into our shop and poor mouths it I don't want them around screwing up my enjoyment.

Some of our customers purchase stuff from Lesiurepro. One came in and showed us his gear and of course asked us to assemble it for him. That wasn't going to be free. Then we mentioned what we would do for him service wise and how we'd throw in a master diver program if he had bought the same stuff from us. We mentioned the free parts for life, the half price service and all the other things. He asked if we had a way to package and return the Leisurepro system so he could purchase from us.

We smiled :)

Now that's what I'm talking about!! :luxhello: You're taking the steps to do what you can to earn a customers business and you proved it can be done. I applaud you!! I also understand and support the handling of one of your students. Yes, it was harsh but I'm confident it was the last resort and hopefully he learned something from it. Some people just don't listen when warned and it was very rude on his part (the student) to keep it up. "On-line air fills" :D Great concept... to bad it's not possible for convience sake. Imagine filling your tank via your internet connection on your laptop at the waters edge during your surface interval. :eek:gle:

Respectfully,

JustDiveIt

ScubaTwo:
Its kinds of upsetting you sent a new student on their way like that tho. I mean you mentioned it was an open water class? A new diver might not understand all the ins and outs of equipment and might have been looking at it as how we compare prices when grocery shopping. Totally different but as a new diver it takes time to figure things out. I mean I had no idea how important my LDs would be to me, Im only glad they were patient.

Would your shop have been patient if during the class you started becoming a distraction? Would they have been patient if you had come into the showroom a few days earlier and in front of paying customers had started pointing out how much money they could save online? He was the one that was harsh and he paid the price.

Guys like trip over a hundred dollars to save one. I had told him that if they bought a regulator from us in 6 years they would have paid nothing for the reg as with our factory warranties, which include parts for life and dirt cheap rebuilds, they would end up breaking even in 6 years. No one on the net gives their equipment away for free and effectivly we do. They can't match a dive shops service. This guy didn't get it and wanted to be a *****y little trouble maker so out the door he went.

We are swamped with business and we don't lack for students. 5 other shops in our area have closed their doors over the years and we're the only one left in the county. There must be a reason for this. We don't need his business and we don't want it. Last month I personally certified 27 students and the other instructor did 10, this is at a shop 2 hours away from the ocean and many hours further away from quality dive locations. Trouble makers get to find a shop with more patience....some place far far away :)

After All Nobody Beats Leisure Pro Price's
They Do Annual Service For Only 39.95
Sometimes They Dont Charge For Parts
Saved Me A Lot Of Money

RonFrank:
Greymarket is the term used for products manufactured with the intent to be distributed in a country other than where they are sold.

So far my experience with LP is that everything I've received was intended for sale in the US based on packaging, and instructions.

LP does not appear to be grey, they are just not authorized dealers from most of the stuff they sell. There is a big difference.

In camera equipment some grey market items will not be serviced in the US. Model names are often different, manuals come in a foreign language, and packaging is different. The fact one may have trouble getting service in the US for grey market items based on seriel and model numbers is a real issue with some grey camera gear.

In the world of Scuba the term grey market seems to be mis-used to describe products that were often made, distributed, and sold in the US by those who are NOT willing to sign away their rights to do business as they please in the name of becoming an authorized dealer....

Not sure if there is a word to describe this type of retailer, but Greymarket based on my decades of dealing with grey eletronics gear definately does not really apply.

Ron

I work in an industry where we also consider grey market product sold outside of our authorized dealer channel and contrary to a dealer's contract. By that defination, I do suspect the sell grey market goods. That being said, I have used them from time to time and been happy.

When I began diving a few years back I wanted to know everything about diving. I wanted to know all of my options when it came to dive product companies so I could make an educated decision on which products I would buy as they are life support products. So on my weekends I went to as many scuba shops as I could fit in and just found out about the products that were being sold and talked to the shop employees. I must have hit 50+ shops in the New England region. I hit every store I could find in Mass, R.I. Maine, and N.H. I even hit many Vermont and Conn. stores, and One in N. J. I don't pay for gas or a car so road trips were just for fun during the cold winter months. The shop I saved for last on my Tour was Leisure Pro as I figured it would be huge and awesome. For those of you who haven't been, it sucks. The store is 10ft by 20ft. with all products in storage behind closed emp only doors. The staff know nothing about diving, or their products. It was very disappointing. I for one learned everything I needed to know from my local dive shops, from people who actually DIVE and had first hand knowledge, who cared more about diving than making a few dollars. I will never buy from L.P. I did learn quite a few things from the Boston Sea Rovers show and the Beneath the Sea show from the reps and recomend the rest of you to attend the shows. The film festival is also a must. Sorry to rant but I had too. Sid

Marek K:
I'm honestly curious, because I've ordered regulators from both LP and from ScubaToys, and have used them without checking the specs, without problem... I suspect LP didn't bench-test their new stuff, and I don't know about Larry...

--Marek

Yes, actually each reg that leaves our shop gets assembled and aired up to check for leaks, IP creep and crack pressure. We probably only have to adjust 1 in 100.. but if you order a reg from us and are leaving on a trip 2 days after it arrives by UPS... you don't want to be that 1 if we didn't check it.

JOET:
After All Nobody Beats Leisure Pro Price's
They Do Annual Service For Only 39.95
Sometimes They Dont Charge For Parts
Saved Me A Lot Of Money

Well, I suppose ScubaToys doesn't "beat" that price, but they sure match it...so at ScubaToys you could pay the same price and get outstanding customer service to boot! :D

But wait, I guess you wouldn't get free parts from ScubaToys since you bought grey market at LP.....never mind.

DiveMe:
Well, I suppose ScubaToys doesn't "beat" that price, but they sure match it...so at ScubaToys you could pay the same price and get outstanding customer service to boot! :D

But wait, I guess you wouldn't get free parts from ScubaToys since you bought grey market at LP.....never mind.

On any reg from us... annual is $39.95 and parts are free for life... all brands.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom