Leisure Pro vs. Other Internet Retailers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

is it cheesy to buy a reg online and have a LDS do things like connect the octo, console and BC inflator and bench test it? I am willing to pay for this, of course, but are there downsides to this?

If you went into a dive shop and explained that you got a new reg from your mother for Christmas, but you are a new diver and a bit nervous, and can someone help you put it together? I don't think that there is an LDS on the planet who wouldn't take 5 minutes to do it for you.

But, if you went into an LDS and explained that you purchased a regulator online from Leisure Pro and you would like them to assemble it for you, you could get anything from a wide range of reactions.

Truthfully though, pull it out of the box and take a look at it. It really isn't hard. Less mechanically challenging than changing a tyre.

I thought all the new suunto computers could be switch between metric and standard. I know the gekko, cobra2, and vytec can.

But when you get into BCs, Computers, Gauges, and Regs it does matter as they have no warrantee if not bought from an authorized dealer.
:D

LP, whether I care for them or not are authorized dealers for a lot of the BC's,reg, computers,etc that they sell. If not the Zeagle is sure in for a surprise.

Most dealers will not service gear bought from LeisurePro for that reason.

I'm not sure where you got this data, maybe they're that way in your area. Personally, I love it when someone brings in LP gear for me to service. I make money on the parts, labor and they fall into the "get it done promply but no big rush on it" catagory.

I know a person who wanted to buy a Suunto dive computer from LeisurePro as it was $300 cheaper than our LDS. He got one, but it was in bar not Psi and no manual. He brought it into the LDS it get it "fixed" and get a manual, they told him no way. I don't know if he sent it back to LP and got a new one or not. He wasn't happy.

I can't say that I blame the lds on this one. The person should have contacted LP FIRST when they think it didn't work. I had a similar situation a while back when a student bought a computer from a competitor for 50 less than our shop had it maked. He also bought the $125 dive computer class to learn how to use it. That was until he read the complete sign in which we give a free computer class but not the "certification" card. Then the guy gets made at me because I won't teach him the computer class for free since both shops teach for the same agency.

The bottom line is you can usually save dollars up front by buying online but you might actually save some money in the long run by at least checkiing with your LDS.

Can someone explain how/why there are such strong feelings on SB about Leisure Pro and what seems to make them different from other internet retailers?

I don't know if they're different, they're usually lowest price. I send them my order, they send me my gear. I haven't had a problem in over 5 yrs and a couple of thousand in orders. Their business model works, look at all the shops that have tried to follow their lead.

First, LP is NOT Grey Market in my experience. Grey Market is the practice of selling goods in the US, or anywhere, that are NOT designated for that country. The manuals are often in the wrong language, and there is no Manufacture warranty even if the dealer is authorized. The packaging is often different as well.

B&H photo sells both grey products, and non-grey products. One has a warranty, the other comes with a warranty offered by the company selling the item, or a third party company.

By contrast LP sells goods that generally were designated to be sold in the US. They are just not authorized dealers for most of those goods. Why? Because LP does NOT want to live by the manufacture pricing, or policies. They want to buy what they want, and sell it for what they choose.

For those that have no experience in the retail scuba industry, many of the dealer agreements are VERY specific, and anti-competitive. A fin dealer may require an authorized dealer to purchase fins in EVERY size and every color. They will generally supply a MSRP, and MAP, and other various pricing requirements that prevents the dealer from discounting merchandise that is not moving.

LP really broke the mold when it comes to Scuba Retail, and for that reason they are a big bullseye in the scuba industry. Love them, or hate them, they have changed, and continue to change the way retail Scuba gear is sold.

IMO if you are using the LDS for information on different regs or other equipment, then take that information to LP for the out right purchase, you are cheating the LDS. You are, in a way, paying for service when you buy local. You may offer to pay them for the assembly of the reg, if you purchased it from another source. Then they may not look at you funny.:D

There are good reasons for buying via the internet, but there are also good reasons for not doing so. This issue applies no matter which internet sales venue you use.

For many types of repairs (computers come to mind) the LDS will send it back to the manufacture in any event if it is older than 30 days, or whatever the terms state.

The idea that a dealer will be able to handle any problem, or replace merchandise that has been used with new is just not valid in most cases.

When my buddies Oceanic computer needed service under warranty, it took him over a month to have that done, and he drove 80 miles out of his way to take it to an LDS (where he purchased it), so they could basically mail it in.

LP is often BETTER is this regard in that if they can't do the work, they just provide a new replacement. They did this for a mask I broke (Aqualung), they just replaced the mask with a new one, and I KNOW my LDS would not have touched that. They would have told me to go fly a kite.

IMO if you are using the LDS for information on different regs or other equipment, then take that information to LP for the out right purchase, you are cheating the LDS. You are, in a way, paying for service when you buy local. You may offer to pay them for the assembly of the reg, if you purchased it from another source. Then they may not look at you funny.:D

Agreed 100% - you wouldn't believe the number of calls I get looking for free tax/accounting advice. If you've gone to your LDS for advice they should at least be given the opportunity to compete for your business.

Can someone explain how/why there are such strong feelings on SB about Leisure Pro and what seems to make them different from other internet retailers? As a new diver trying to research equipment and comparing sourcing options LP appears to dominate search results, but I get the sense that they are a pariah in the industry.

Why?? Leisure Pro is a gray market

Agreed 100% - you wouldn't believe the number of calls I get looking for free tax/accounting advice. If you've gone to your LDS for advice they should at least be given the opportunity to compete for your business.

I agree, but there can be a problem. Some LDSs are not really happy with the opportunity to compete on a price or value basis. Some just want your business money and can be unpleasant and unprofessional when they don't get it. Asking an LDS to compete may be asking to be blackballed. So, be careful, be tactful, maybe even be a little deceptive until you get a feel for how your LDS will react. Hell of a way to have to do business, isn't it.:shocked2:

Back
Top Bottom