Leisure Pro vs. Other Internet Retailers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I usually look at Leisurepro to establish a price baseline, then I go shop at other online or local retailers that provide better customer support. But it is hard to beat LP's stockage.

The implication is that LeisurePro has done something to skirt the rules by selling so-called "gray market" goods. The reality is that none of us really know how LeisurePro obtains its merchandise, but it does sell goods for which it is not an authorized dealer. If you look on their web site, they stipulate the following:
Since (sometimes) that means that we do not buy it directly from the manufacturer, nor are we authorized by them to sell their products, so we are not bound by the official/unofficial manufacturer's suggested retail prices, and we can pass on the tremendous savings to you. In some instances the product will come without an English language manual or manufacturer's warrantee cards valid in the United States. In those cases, we provide our own Leisure Pro Warranty, which offers equal or greater protection.
LeisurePro is an authorized dealer for most of the products it sells. One question that always comes up is, even if you buy one of those items (such as a regulator), will you be able to take it to a local dive shop for servicing or must you send it back to LeisurePro for servicing? There are good reasons for buying via the internet, but there are also good reasons for not doing so. This issue applies no matter which internet sales venue you use.

In my case, the answer is a resounding YES. I bought an Oceanic regulator from LP for my wife. The reg started to make a "ticking" sound which I was not comfortable with. I took it to my LDS who is also an Oceanic dealer. He looked up the serial number - no problems - and fixed it on the spot.

I bought my initial dive gear from my LDS.

Since then, my boss gave me a gift certificate for Christmas to LeisurePro. She's not a diver so she googled scuba gear and LP was at the top of the list, so I've purchased lots of peripheral and fun stuff from them. Having done business with LP and being more knowledgable about scuba gear, I wouldn't hesitate to buy life support equipment from them. They offer a comparable warranty to the manufacturer's warranty.

Why they're the pariah of scubaboard, I can't answer that. I know that internet sales are a (real or perceived) threat to the brick and mortar shops. Internet sales are generally much less expensive, easier (you can purchase in your jammies sitting in your barcalounger with a cocktail in hand), there's no sales tax and it's delivered to your door.

The only issue with Leisure Pro is the Gray Market sales, which means they cannot offer a full manufacturer's warranty on their Gray Market items. However they do offer an in house warranty for these. The customer must decide for him/herself if Leisure Pro's in house warranty covers their needs or not. Locally it probably isn't much of an issue, but if you travel or live cross county fro LP, it can present problems. The LDS in your area/destination may choose not service it at all (and this has happened), or if they do (and many will) you will get charged full price because of no warranty. For the lines they are authorized dealers for, it's no different from buying from any other authorized dealer - you get full manufacturer's warranty. It's strictly up to the consumer to make the choice.
Safe Diving,
George

Can someone explain how/why there are such strong feelings on SB about Leisure Pro and what seems to make them different from other internet retailers? As a new diver trying to research equipment and comparing sourcing options LP appears to dominate search results, but I get the sense that they are a pariah in the industry.

I think I can answer your questions about why there is such a lightening bolt when the subject of Leisure Pro comes up on the boards.........

LeisurePro was the "first" of the big time internet scuba retail stores. When they began offering scuba equipment, there was UNIVERSAL industry opposition to discount equipment sales, and especially merchandise purchased from the internet. At that time, they rumor was that LeisurePro obtained all of their merchandise from secondary sources, as opposed to the normal direct-from-the-manufacture channel. There is considerable dispute about this, and I guess we will never have definitive proof as to the exact source of their merchandise, and like smart retailers, they are not going to tell you.

Today, LeisurePro is BY FAR the largest scuba retailer in the world. Much of their inventory comes directly from the scuba companies, under dealership agreements just like those signed by your local scuba store. Today, there is less opposition to internet sales of scuba equipment and several traditional brick-and-mortar store operate vibrant internet retail businesses. However, LeisurePro remains the largest and I expect that they will remain so for years to come. The gigantic revenue from their scuba and camera business allows them to spread their advertising far and wide on the internet. This is why the come up so favorably on search engines. Money can buy you lot of exposure. So can years of successful customer service.

LeisurePro is my competitor, and like all of my competitors, my business would be probably be better off without them. However, this is no reason for anyone to describe them as anything less than they are......a strong and gigantic competitor run by serious and real businessmen.

Phil Ellis
Discount Scuba Gear at DiveSports.com - Buy Scuba Diving Equipment & Snorkeling Equipment

OK...thanks for the input...not to muddy the waters, but is it cheesy to buy a reg online and have a LDS do things like connect the octo, console and BC inflator and bench test it? I am willing to pay for this, of course, but are there downsides to this? I am not concerned that I will get the equivalent of a waiter spitting on my food if I send it back as undercooked, but still...

What I envision is my parents getting a regulator for one or both of my daughters as a Xmas present and they want to have something under the tree. Should I feel badly taking this to my LDS to be assembled?

Regulator is pretty easy to assemble yourself - just unscrew the spare port with a hex wrench and screw in the SPG, Octo, low pressure inflator or whatever.

hmm... I didnt know they are considered a pariah on the board.
I have done business with them and had great experiences with them all the way around. I too thought that they were "grey market" - I wanted to purchase a regulator from them and had concerns about spending that kindof money for lifesupport equipment and it not being covered. I did some research and found that they are indeed and authorized dealer for the co I was looking at.

I support my LDS, my fellow divers, ebay, and leisurepro; if I can save a little money someplace with out sacrificing safety - I will definately do it. I have to in this economy.

I have nothing but good things to say about scubatoys and leisurepro!!

OK...thanks for the input...not to muddy the waters, but is it cheesy to buy a reg online and have a LDS do things like connect the octo, console and BC inflator and bench test it? I am willing to pay for this, of course, but are there downsides to this? I am not concerned that I will get the equivalent of a waiter spitting on my food if I send it back as undercooked, but still...

What I envision is my parents getting a regulator for one or both of my daughters as a Xmas present and they want to have something under the tree. Should I feel badly taking this to my LDS to be assembled?

Actually, if you call and place your order on the phone > you can request that it be entirely assembled and tested. There is no way to request this if you place the order online. A few months ago I bought a new octo setup from them. I called up Leisurepro, got Brett and they were happy to do it. Also (hint hint) when I mentioned that another online retailer was offering free regulator bags, they tossed that in too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom