Legends of Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the nice welcomes! I apologize for not wanting to post openly in the past; I lived (barely) through the flame wars of the early and mid-1990's and was reluctant to be drawn in to that type of situation again. However, I think the moderators on this board do an excellent job of keeping things on track while still allowing enough of an edge to keep the conversations interesting. I can tell you, it's not a job you could pay me to do...

I will try posting out in the open from now on if I think I can make a point. This is very infrequent; given the huge number of people on this board of varying backgrounds, I find that most of the points I think of when reading the original post have already been made, and more eloquently than I could have done. I also read perspectives which I would never have thought of, which is what makes these boards so interesting.

I will also try to keep my sense of humor somewhat in check, as I have been told my sarcasm is sometimes so subtle as to be undetectable, which usually results in my getting beat up...

NO way...stick with the humor and sarcasm...I THRIVE on it! (and have read through a few posts I ALMOST posted and said...mmmm maybe not!)(sometimes I'm even tempted to report my own posts!:D)

Good to see more people with your cred's stepping in! It's all about being able to learn! (and I for one appreciate any help I can get!)

That must be why you get along with JeffG. He often runs into the same flack here. I think it's funny though.. Many people just don't 'get him'..lol

Well, I don't know John. But we do have a common friend though and I now own the video housing he dropped to the bottom of the ocean.

Well, I don't know John. But we do have a common friend though and I now own the video housing he dropped to the bottom of the ocean.

Ha, JeffG... a salvage dive to 20' really shouldn't count as ownership!

Very cool some of the new members that have chosen to go public. But you all are forgetting a real legend here- PILOTFISH!!! One of my personal favorites. BTW Pittsburgh Scuba is putting a show together for March. I'll get the exact date later and post but Gary Gentile(who has confirmed) and some others are in the works. As they confirm and I get more details I'll let everyone know. But I do know in addition to Gary there will be some interesting presentations as far as tech diving goes by some local " diving celebs" not quite legends but not your average tech instructor either.

Hi John. What a surprise to see you posting here. Glad you've decided to brave these particular kind of "waters". It's up to the posters here to be mature enough to learn from your experience(s) and not deprive themselves of such
a great opportunity due to their own immaturity and egotism. Just ignore the
bastids!

You deserve the appreciation and recognition that you've earned and there are
plenty of folks here to support that notion. I hope that your participation will be a "healthy" and rewarding one for you. (at least overall! :)
Hey, I moved out of N.J. to get away from the sarcasm. If you bring it here, I may just get home sick! ;-) Come to think about it, I got beat up a lot there too...
Happy Holidays and Have a Great New Year!
Jim

Happy Holidays! I will PM you monday.

John...

Any projects going on with you or are you mostly "fun" diving? Ever do any mid-Atlantic trips off NC...

John...

Any projects going on with you or are you mostly "fun" diving? Ever do any mid-Atlantic trips off NC...

I don't have anything planned project-wise for the upcoming season, except to become more comfortable on the new rebreather. Until my reactions to potential problems become more automatic, I have to consider myself a newbie, and conduct my diving accordingly. I also am resisting swapping back and forth between open circuit and closed circuit until I get to that point with the rebreather. I missed out on some good deep diving later in the 2007 season, but I recognized going in that I would be starting from scratch going closed-circuit, so there's no use whining about it. Besides, no one likes a whiner anyway...

Big projects have become a lot more difficult for me to sign onto, as I now have 1 wife and 4 dogs at home to consider. I tend to not book much in advance as I never know what's going on until the last minute. I am getting back in touch with some of the wrecks in the 130' range that I haven't visited since the mid-1990's, though. Interesting to see how much they have deteriorated in that time.

I've only done a few trips down to NC, back in the late 80's. There are a bunch of wrecks there I would like to visit. Also, I did some diving out of North Myrtle Beach, SC back then, on late-1800's wrecks as well as WWII casualties. The diving was fantastic. I would love to figure out a way to get back down there for a 3 or 4-day trip. Maybe I can find a doggie spa down there...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom