Legends of Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rawls

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
NetDoc:
It's also good to point out that there are at least two other legends reading this thread with great interest

Doc made this remark in the Shadow Divers thread. I cannot count how many threads related to SD and SD Exposed there have been, but there have been quite a few. Now JC has joined as a member and as Doc stated, he has been PM'd by 2 more legends of diving which I think is great.

My intention of writing this thread is to encourage John, the 2 other people, unamed, and others that have contributed much to diving to actively participate on ScubaBoard. John stepped up to the plate with his membership and it is just like him to do something like that. It isn't surprising because he and Richie actively participated with members of the Deep Sea Detectives forum. Thanks John for joining us...Richie...we are waiting:)

There are MANY subjects covered in many different forums on this wonderful board. I have, more than anything, a tremendous amount of gratitude to everyone who spends great amounts of time to keep this discussion board up and running. They all need our thanks and I offer my thanks to each and everyone of them, as well my thanks to each and every member who participates and from who I have learned so much. Thanks to you all.

In as much as this board serves as such a great resource, it is my hope that those such as John Chatterton, Richie Kohler, Gary Gentile, the 2 as yet un-named leaders in the diving community, Bernie Chowdhury, Dan Crowell, Billy Deans, Mike Ange...I haven't even come close to scratching the surface...it is my hope that these leaders will join in active participation on this board. There are new divers who would benefit greatly from these people answering their questions as well as the questions and points of view of more experienced divers on this board. We all look up to these leaders for their experience and contributions and they have alot to offer. What a great thing to have a newcomer to diving have his or her question answered by the likes of John Chatterton or Gary Gentile, etc. I know I have vehemently disagreed with Gary's SDE, but I also have utmost respect for his experience and knowledge regarding diving and maritime history as well. My disagreement with SD Exposed aside, Gary is a great leader who has contributed so much to diving. But let me not forget those who do actively participate who I have had the fortune to learn a great deal from also.

So my purpose is to ask you leaders to come on board and actively participate with us. What a wonderful thing for someone in the Intros and Greets forum to have John, Richie, Gary, etc...say, Welcome to :sblogo:

Agreed.

That's it...Guys like that have a wealth of knowledge and their participation here would be greatly appreciated!

Come on down!

You will find the likes of Bill Hogarth Main, Jarrod Jablonski and many, many others here, ALREADY. Many value their privacy as a few sport legends that lurk and post here.

Let's face it. The Internet can be a SCARY place. Epic flame wars, cyber stalking and the like cause a number of celebrities to remain anonymous or only lurk. However, many who come here see a marked difference in how we operate. Friendliness, courtesy and respect are the norm and snarky posts are infrequent and becoming more so. Sure, we have a few colorful trolls here: ONESPEED, Jepuskar amongst others, but for the most part they add some much needed humor to our focused community. But for the most part the community polices itself with reminders and reported posts so that we have a wonderful place to discuss our passion: Scuba!

I wish Peter Gimble was still with us...John Yurga...Not to forget ladies...Janet Bieser, Evelyn Dudas, Jill Heinerth, Barb Lander, Patti Mount and Sally Wahrmann to name a small number...
And yes Doc...Definitely Mr Hogarth Main and Gue's Mr. Jablonski

There are privacy issues at hand for a few. I won't speak publicly of those who wish to remain private.

William Hogarth Main is the guy who brought us Hogarthian Diving. You can find him under Bill Main here on :sblogo:

Jarrod Jablonski is THE man when it comes to Halcyon and DIR/GUE.

123Scuba aka Laura Betts. Many of you recognise her last name. She has been doing Trimix dives since before most of us were certified. Her IANTD instructor number is in the LOW double digits.

Susan Long is a pioneer for women running a manufacturing business in our sport. I can't remember her user name, but she is here.

Capt Gary from Treasure Divers on the HD channel.

Sam Miller is probably one of the most seasoned instructors on our forum.

Dominique Sumian... think back to the heydays of Jacques Cousteau. I am told that Phillipe lurks here from time to time.

Add to this all of the inventors and manufacturers that are on :sblogo:, many of whom are legends in their own right or legends in the making! WHAT A COOL PLACE TO HANG OUT! :D

Let's face it. The Internet can be a SCARY place. Epic flame wars, cyber stalking and the like cause a number of celebrities to remain anonymous or only lurk.

Not to mention that they are held accountable to every word they mutter and, as "celebrities", must measure their words more carefully. If I say something stupid or mean or inconsistent, nobody cares. If they do, it's liable to end up as a quote in a future book.

ReefHound:
end up as a quote in a future book.

Yup...

I met Susan Long at a DUI Dog Days Rally in Portland, CT this past fall. What a great person! She is witty, fun and not afraid to get her hands dirty. She even was doing measurements for signature cut suits.

I also met Eric Douglas, Director of Training for DAN at the sam event. Another down-to-earth guy and truly knowledgable in this field.

Two "real people" that sat down and ate dinner with us and shared some stories. What a thrill for me, a new diver just getting my feet wet!

I know Susan is on SB, I'm not sure about Eric.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom