Legends of Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We also met Richie Kohler at Dutch Springs this past fall. He was doing some rebreather classes and was not above stopping to chat for a moment with us as we came out from a dive and he was going in. Very cool! Just a "regular guy" with a ton of experience!

All these folks are just regular guys. It's the pedestals folks want to put them on that creates the seperation. Well, sometimes the folks have ego's or elitest attitudes, but hey, some have earned it... just show respect and most will share the most amazing stories, information, or even dive time with you! I've had some cool dives with some celebs of the industry just from treating them as I do Pete, Reefguy, KBulla (my wife) or anyone else I dive with - with respect and sincerity. :)

You have named a few names above, but I wonder if you and others could add to the list who you think is a legend in diving and why?

Oh man...one HUGE legend was the late great Sheck Exley! Caverns measureless to man is a classic!

Don't forget Clay Coleman who wrote the Certified Diver's Handbook is a regular poster here and there!

All these folks are just regular guys. It's the pedestals folks want to put them on that creates the seperation. Well, sometimes the folks have ego's or elitest attitudes, but hey, some have earned it... just show respect and most will share the most amazing stories, information, or even dive time with you! I've had some cool dives with some celebs of the industry just from treating them as I do Pete, Reefguy, KBulla (my wife) or anyone else I dive with - with respect and sincerity. :)

That's it...most of the guys I've met in my short diving time have been mor than gracious, and very down to earth!

Hey we share a common thing...and they are like us (ok maybe thay ALL don't pee in their wetsuits)...

I met Richie Kohler last year at BTS and he was very nice!

I thought we were concentrating on legends living on :sblogo:???

This thread has a chance to really become great!!!

I thought we were concentrating on legends living on :sblogo:???

Well..the thread is called the legends of diving....so....just naming my Legend Emeritus!

Thanks Buoyant1 and ReefHound for the "Thank yous"...Thank you back...Bunches!

Wanted to mention a couple of other personal favorites from my neck of the woods who are no doubt local legends...First and most, my instructor and mentor...Debby Boyce who has successfully ran Discovery Diving in Beaufort, NC since the early 70's...Thank you for everything you have done for me, taught me and continue to teach me...You are the best. And too...another great mentor, teacher and friend...Neil Drysdale. And also my tech instructor Jon Belisario...

I also want to recognize George Purifoy...who runs Olympus Dive Center in Morehead City, NC....George, for those of you do not know...discovered the U-352.

I am sure all of us have our local favorites who have been great leaders, inspirations and legends in their own right...

Well then...

Hal Watts,
Neal Watson.
Captain Spencer Slate

oh yeah, if we include legends in their own minds we have...

me,
H2Andy
Jepuskar
HowardE

(Oh, I could go on and on here... :D )

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom