Legalities of VIP inspections/ Inspectors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is a certain amount of merit talking about criminal type laws when looking at civil liability. It certainly doesn't help you when faced with a negligence claim that you broke a couple rules.

To the OP, if you are worried about civil liability (and you should be I think), look into incorporating or forming an LLC under which you perform your inspections as an employee. You'll need to be careful about how you pass the money through the company so a potential plaintiff can't pierce through it. It could also take a little more effort at tax time.

If you are incorporated, then someone would have to sue the company, they can't sue you directly as they hired your company to do the VIP, not you. If the company doesn't have assets to pay a claim, then it folds. You don't lose your house.

I agree that I should do the work under an LLC for some added protection. I think that I may be able to do it under my current LLC company. I can't stand frivolous law suits.

As far as transporting and hydros go I will try to get some information and some DOT articles to post on here so that we can all see them. But honestly I must say that any officer that is trying to catch divers transporting cylinders out of hydros is a real azz in the 1st place. There is no way that I would go out of my way to catch someone transporting bad hydros.

I will try to get the info by Tuesday straight from DOT. That will take care of the federal transportation of them but state laws can still be more restrictive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom