Leg cramps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pescador775:
King, let's hope the Keys are above high tide. Force 4 hurricane coming.

We don't head down there until Wednesday. Hopefully it will blow through well before that. Believe me, I've been checking the weather sites regularly for the past couple of days. My prognostication is for my weather site visits to increase in frequency and intensity for the next 48-72 hours.

pescador775:
Beta blockers are a blood pressure or arrythmia drug. They can interfere with heart action in athletes.

The wife has me on Altace, which is an ACE inhibitor. That may be interfering.

ctimms:
I can't add anything on the leg cramps but if you are diving in any of the latin american countries don't bring bananas onto the boat! They are bad luck!
This is also true in Hawaii when you're going fishing. The bananas aren't going to do you a whole lot of good anyway in your hand unless you use them to massage your leg cramps. Better to eat them beforehand so the potassium starts percolating through your innards.

Stop swimming.

Let your fins do the work. Use more of your thigh muscles on the upstroke and just let your fin fall on the downstroke. Gravity baby!

I've had the same problem. Using split fins does help. I'de much rather be in shape than have to switch fins though....(if only I'de do it).

Update

Dove Pennecamp Park this past week. Stayed well hydrated and stretched before each dive. Very minor cramping once or twice. No new fins for now.

lot's of water and bananas....stretch. Peace

You said you've only used Aqualung fins. My husband had a pair of Aqualung Thrusters and kept having leg cramps (his first 15 dives). We swapped fins with each other, and I discovered those things are torture devices! I'm in pretty good shape, but I had cramps, was exhausted (even though I go very slow), and used almost as much air as my husband on that dive. On the other hand, he had the most comfortable dive he'd ever had, and went straight to the dive shop afterwards to get a new pair of fins. With the new fins, his air consumption immediately went way down, and he hasn't had a cramp since (over 75 dives).FWIW

I always cramp up the first few dives of the summer then no problem.

If you do cramp up underwater you can straighten your leg and pull the tip of your fin toward you to releive the spasm

I seem to recall reading an article that concluded that potassium had nothing to do with cramps...and even hydration was not really a factor. The best remedy is stretching.

I strect every day, and especially leading up to a dive. On the boat or shore, before the dive...I do a series of calf stretches.

I used to have cramps...and the stretching seems to prevent them. I have noticed, as well, that especially in cold water, I now get some warning that a cramp is coming on and I can slow down, to the fin grab...and avert the cramp.

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom