Leg cramps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ZzzKing

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I get cramps when diving. Specifically in the back of my calves. Are there specific types of fins that either contribute to or help alleviate this? I've only owned and dove Aqualung fins.

Thanks for the input.

ZzzKing:
I get cramps when diving. Specifically in the back of my calves. Are there specific types of fins that either contribute to or help alleviate this? I've only owned and dove Aqualung fins.

Thanks for the input.

I think you'll find that stretching your calves well, both on a regular basis and before a dive, will help a lot. However, if you insist on getting fins to compensate, I've heard the split fins, like Biofins, are supposed to be nice. Don't have a pair, but that's what I've heard.

Get a couple more dives in before going out and spending $$ on new fins. Like maybe 50 or so. Seriously the more you dive along with stretching before and after should take care of this. Swimming underwater with scuba gear for many people involves using muscles that they may not have used much before or in ways that they've not used. Also be sure you are well hydrated before the dive. Dehydration can contribute to muscle cramping. Try some different kick techniques. Since I've gone to a modified frog I've had alot less trouble. The people behind me also like it since I don't plow up the bottom with this kick. And I tell this to alot of students, RELAX and SLOW DOWN, it's not a race.

ZzzKing:

Thanks for the input.

Warming up by jogging on the spot and stretching the muscles before you get in the water may help a bit. It's mostly a question of muscle tone so if you start diving a lot it will go away. When you're not diving then cross training another sport will help. In my case rock climbing helps keep the muscles in shape. Cycling works, any kind of marital art or Tai Chi, jogging, racket sports or even a brisk walk a few times a week will all help keep your leg muscles in shape for diving.

Throwing money away on new fins won't solve the root problem but there are some fins on the market (namely split fins) that put less stress on your muscles.

R..

Ok....those kind of cramps. They can be agony. Get some potassium in your system - eat bananas and do a bunch of pool work with the fins on. When I got my really stiff Voit UDT fins earlier this year, I had to do a bunch of pool work to keep my calves from cramping. Even though I swim a lot of laps, I started doing a bunch specifically with the fins. So I swam, cramped up, worked it out, then swam some more. After a while - no more cramps.
Any fins that have less stress on your legs also have less propulsion, so work those sticks.
Also practice taking the fins off in water where you can't stand up - after a dive when you're at the boat ladder, reaching down to slide the strap off can cause your leg to cramp if you really pull it in close to get the strap.

I agree w/ Tom. My cramps can become excruciatingly painful in my calves. I started eating bananas (more potassium) and did feel some relief to the point of not as painful. I run pretty much everyday and stretching is an integral part of it, so started stretching before I put on all my gear paying close attention to the calves. It has gone away. I have a mild one on ocassion, I just grab my fin and pull for a few seconds and it works its way out.

Now if you want to talk about the little toe cramps where your toes do acrobatic stuff all on their own, well thats another story.

Doug

Stretching, bananas-----we've heard it before and it may be good advice. King, you have a circulatory/metabolic problem in the specific muscle area or your diet is trash leading to electrolyte imbalances. You can try a multivitamin mineral supplement and drink more orange juice or animal aid, whatever. It might help, dehydration is hard on muscles. Have you ever noticed the prominent veins on body builders? That is blood flow. We don't need to go that far, do we? Yet, the one exercise that can address the circulatory problem is the bodybuilder's heal raises performed on a block or machine. For good luck, you might also want to balance out this with leg curls and leg extensions. These muscle groups work together and we wouldn't want any to get jealous. Your mitochondria will come awake and salute.

pescador775:
Stretching, bananas-----we've heard it before and it may be good advice. King, you have a circulatory/metabolic problem in the specific muscle area or your diet is trash leading to electrolyte imbalances. You can try a multivitamin mineral supplement and drink more orange juice or animal aid, whatever. It might help, dehydration is hard on muscles. Have you ever noticed the prominent veins on body builders? That is blood flow. We don't need to go that far, do we? Yet, the one exercise that can address the circulatory problem is the bodybuilder's heal raises performed on a block or machine. For good luck, you might also want to balance out this with leg curls and leg extensions. These muscle groups work together and we wouldn't want any to get jealous. Your mitochondria will come awake and salute.

Actually, I play outside hitter and middle blocker on a travelling volleyball team and get good, thorough leg workouts 3-5 days a week so I don't think muscle tone is a problem. Keeping myself well hydrated on the other hand...

Also, I don't really stretch to the same degree that I do before jumping around a in gym for 2-3 hours. I will concentrate on that more. My diet could be better but is hardly trash.

King, who knew? Nothing in the intro. Volleyball? You're screwed. Using fast twitch muscles only. Are you using nicotine or beta blockers? Try L arginine. This amino acid is reputed to dilate arteries. Like most "health food" claims, take with a grain of salt (also good). Get on the calf machine.

I switched to spring straps from the quick-release type that came with my fins and my leg cramps were gone this last trip. I used to spend any time not actively finning curled up like a seahorse with excruciating cramps until I had a DM tell me that too much pressure on your Achilles' tendon will cause cramping. But hydration and bananas are always a good idea (kiwis, too!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom