Learning to dive while in Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ginuwin

New
Reaction score
Hi- I'm going to Belize in a little over a month. I don't think I'll have time to do any type of pre-training but I do want to learn how to Scuba dive. I'll be in Belize for 10 days so I'm fine with spending a couple days doing the training. I know how to swim and am very comfortable in/around water but have never been exposed to scuba at all. Just snorkeling.

Is there a shop you recommend? My itinerary is completely blank, so open to whatever people would suggest is the best option.

Thanks!!

Hi- I'm going to Belize in a little over a month. I don't think I'll have time to do any type of pre-training but I do want to learn how to Scuba dive. I'll be in Belize for 10 days so I'm fine with spending a couple days doing the training. I know how to swim and am very comfortable in/around water but have never been exposed to scuba at all. Just snorkeling.

Is there a shop you recommend? My itinerary is completely blank, so open to whatever people would suggest is the best option.

Thanks!!

Allow at least 5 days for Open Water certification. Why not do the the online academics at your leisure and do a referral to a shop in Belize for the hands-on training, which I assume will be on Ambergris Caye? Most, if not all of the shops mentioned in this forum will do the OW referral.

Do the online academics and pool work at home. That way you'll enjoy your vacation much more.

Last edited:
Where are you going in Belize? (San Pedro/Caye Caulker/Dangriga/Placencia/PG/???) It is a small place, but everything is far away ....

I'll second doing the online portion prior to the trip, it will get you in the water faster, and not stuck in a classroom on a hot and humid day when you can be enjoying the tropical waters.

_R

I agree. Do the online stuff at home now. It's not too onerous, but it will mean you can then have more fun on vacation. If you can also do the pool work ahead of time, that's good too. Otherwise, speak to the Belize shop ahead of time so you can start online. I can't make a recommendation for a shop since I was on a liveboard there, but you'll love the diving in Belize.

To the above Belize locations where instruction is available, I would add Turneffe Island Resort and Blackbird Caye on Turneffe Atoll. I know both have PADI instructors and offer OW and AOW.

Although you can do the classes online, I'd recommend at least trying to go through a local dive shop for the classes and pool work. It's really good to be able to quickly put into practice what you're learning in class. You can tell them that you'll do your checkout dives in Belize, and they'll give you the paperwork necessary to take with you.

I recommend going with PADI at home because by far the majority, if not all, of Belize dive shops are PADI affiliates and while technically not necessary it will make things smoother.

You could also go the "Discover Scuba" route, which doesn't require that you take classes ahead of time. An instructor will walk you through the procedures and do some shallow dives with you. I doubt those dives count towards certification later but it's very popular for folks who just want to give it a try without going all in. Practically every day we drop off Discover students on our way to deeper dives and pick them up on the way back. They always have a great time.

My daughter entered class on a Thursday with ADM and was certified on Monday....you'll have a blast!

Back
Top Bottom