Looking for Recommendations for Ambergris Caye Diving!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
M

mollyr

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi! I'm looking for recommendations for a scuba trip I am planning to Ambergris Caye in March. There are three divers and we are debating if we should dive either the Blue Hole or Turneffe Atoll. Has anyone done a shallower (not 120 feet) dive in the Blue Hole? I've heard this may be an option but not sure if its worth it for the less experienced divers. Additionally, how difficult is the boat ride out to these locations (very choppy?)?

If you've done this trip, are there any dive shops you recommend? We also have some snorkelers joining the trip so any dive shops that let snorkelers tag along would be great!!

laurenceh- suggestions of places to stay to dive those areas without long boat rides? thanks!
Turneffe
laurenceh- suggestions of places to stay to dive those areas without long boat rides? thanks!
Turneffe Island Resort was the last place I stayed in Belize , it was very nice and it’s close to all the best dive sites in Southern Belize. It’s a world away from the tourist crowds on Ambergris Caye (where we used to live).

how difficult is the boat ride out to these locations (very choppy?)
This all depends on the weather. You'll have two open water stretches to cross if you go out to the Blue hole. I haven't made the trip from Ambergris, but I've done it many times from Turneffe, and from Belize City out to Lighthouse. Most of the operations I've seen at the Blue Hole that come from Ambergris or Caye Caulker have good sized boats, most days should not be too bad. I actually enjoy the crossings, but I'm a boat/water guy. If you have any motion sickness issues, take something prior for sure.
Has anyone done a shallower (not 120 feet) dive in the Blue Hole?
I've done the Blue Hole 11 times and have dived both sides (formations). On about half of those, a few divers hung up a little higher (80ish) and didn't go down to the formations. If the visibility is good, you should be able to see the formations from there. If the visibility is poor, you won't see much at all. The Blue Hole dive is all about the uniqueness of the formation/s, other than that there is not a lot to see. You are only at depth about 8-10 minutes so it's definitely a bounce dive at best. Many of the operations also allow people to snorkel around the rim while divers are down. There is some coral and fish on the sloped rim around the edge of the "hole". Most operations do lunch at Half Moon Caye after two morning dives. Half Moon and the dives around it are worth the trip alone, in my opinion. There are some good snorkel opportunities at Half Moon, you'd just have to ask the operators if that is something they offer.
We also have some snorkelers joining the trip so any dive shops that let snorkelers tag
It think this just depends on the operators. Most do the Blue Hole then a dive off of Half Moon (very good). They do lunch on Half Moon and allow people to see the Red-footed Boobies, etc. Then do another dive off Half Moon and/or Long Caye wall, and many do the Aquarium site off of Long Caye on the way back. Some will drop snorkelers off on Half Moon before the second dive and then meet back up at lunch. You'd just half to pick an operation that allows you to do the type of day you are looking for.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom