Learning to Dive: pep talk needed.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by longwalk
How about a total immersion SCUBA language certification?!

(This sure is more fun than workin')

I thought about a french - english diving dictionary - then I found one in a local dive store :-(

Jon T

Total immersion? Nice pun!

Let's see, what common phrases would be needed?

1 Where's the boat?
2 Where's the head?

Next?

what do you mean there's no dive guide!

Why can't I hire an ALUMINUM twinset? DIR sais I have to have Al, I can't use steel!

Jon T

Longwalk.... merci-toi pour... errrr....('ow do you say..) proving me right... me prouves corrigent....??

....please! Not the Warhammer manoeuvre again!

I seriously HATE editing post, but I will admit when I do and WHY ...

When ever one of you, even jokingly, start in with a little jabbing, sometimes thing get out of hand.

*reaching in my bag of opinionated advice* ...

Written conversation is understandably misunderstood by others... If I am, for example, standing next to Don, and he stands at 6 foot tall and 200lbs and I am 6 1/2 foot tall and 150lbs and say, "Well, if you weren't such a long lanky skin and bones twig, maybe those sharks would stop mistaking you for a tooth pick *wink,wink* " - he, and anyone else standing there would OBVIOUSLY see that I was just playing around or as the saying goes, "The pot calling the kettle black". This would never be misunderstood as bashing or hurtful and even if Don had a personal inferior complex because he really does have chicken legs, for that minute he would probably actually feel good about him self by being teased from someone that could pass off as the Jolly Green Giants walking cane. It's obvious in that case, because we are all standing there IN PERSON and winking and giggling and what not and everyone could see he actually looks more like Arnold Schwarteneger than the PeeWee Herman he really is .... hehe

My point is that there are a couple of you that Constantly make remarks towards certain Nationalities and it is getting OLD and you're wearing peoples patience thin.

This happened once before on this board and it ended up in a heated racial bashing frenzy. Granted it began with someone making mention of some sorta "Hitler" remark and even though this person wasn't German it pissed off some of our German members and the person they were calling a Nazi was in Fact Jewish ... So you can imagine how that one went DOWN HILL very fast ...

And worst of all, it was all NDR in a bad way, hence it was just not welcome nor appreciated by ANYONE!

I am not going to say names but if you cant figure out who you are I will email you if it keeps happening. There is no need for turning a SCUBA DIVING FORUM into anyone personal soapbox for negative racial commentary, no matter how sly or small of a remark it is. Please, just be conscious of others feelings, because when you don't we get another TON of email, on top of the current 300 PLUS a day we get now expressing their distaste.

Not to mention, you could be Gods gift of wisdom to Scuba Diving but people are never going to listen to a word you say. Due to everything else you've said in the past every remark you say from there on out is pre-judged. You'll end up saying something like - "It is not advisable to drop Acid, Smoke Opium, Shoot Heroin and drag your fathers old rusty dive gear out and attempt a dive on the Titanic" ... But all they will hear (or see rather) is "All of yoz from dat cuntry suck azz and I we OWN you cuz you so dum"...

G3t d4 p1ctur3 h0m3z?

=-)

Please,

just because I edited multiple post does not mean each of them were "guilty". And to be honest, No One was really "guilty" per say.

I am certain no harm was meant out of any of it and it was all in jest. But what (hopefully) none of you saw, was the very last 2 post before I said what I did.

I deleted them, and they were SMOKERS! I didn't think about it at the time but it may have looked odd to those of you that didn't see what was said and only saw my jumping in. I was not pointing the finger at anyone.

I personally thought it was pretty clear it was all in jest but I also understand that we are all pretty culturally diverse and what may be a "fad, cliche, in thing to say" for one is nothing but a sharp poke in the eye with a blunt stick to another. I've been online long enough to know that there isn't always a "right or wrong" within written conversation. It is just the way it is, not everyone finds humor in the same thing or understands the basis of the humor.

I realize I should have maybe explained a little bit more now, but when I get blindsided by a slaughtering tidalwave of email I'm just thinking of how to slow down the fire and not until later do I always thinking about all 1,331 different ways even that can be taken.

When I edited the first post I edited (and explained to them why) I followed up with editing the next few following post that made mention to the one I edited. It would have made them look silly if out of the clear blue they were blurting out something that made no sence because I removed the originating thread. Rarely have any of us had to edit anything but I always try to fully explain why and such.

Yes, explaining "why" is a extremely rare thing, as those of you that have been on boards know. But, I don't want anyone here to feel they are being "moderated". Many of you may have noticed that, if anything, it may even go a little too far before someone steps in. But that is because we try to get the majorities opinion before we make any moves.

Anyway, off to the next fire ....

hehe

=-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom